1982 80 HP Mercury

SteveI

Cadet
I have an 80 horse 1982 mercury, S/N 5903169, Model 1080520.<br />The problem is that it has low power and/or dies when put into forward or reverse gear.<br />Once I get it past the lower rpm's, it runs great. I have tried leaning it out<br />but then it tends to starve. The carbs have been rebuilt. I have<br />checked the reeds and they appear to be fine. The plugs are fine and the plug wires <br />are new. The choke does not seem to be a problem either. It appears to be operating fine.<br />I have read that another potenial problem could be the plastic bleed inserts. I am wanting<br />to check them out but am not sure which side of the engine the bypass cover is on in which<br />the inserts are located (coils side or fuel pump side)? I am a DIY'er and am wondering if<br />putting in new inserts (if that is the problem) is something I can do......without a total <br />engine tear-down. What do you advise. Any other suggestions or pointers? Thanks, <br />in advance.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1982 80 HP Mercury

Steve, I have had my fingers inside many, many of mercs IL4 cyl motors,and I can offer you a little advice....your motor is getting tired,and the weak idle is the first symptom of that. <br /> the hardest thing you can make a 2 stroke do is idle...very careful air management inside the motor is needed to keep a proper air/fuel ratio inside each cylinder...the slower it operates, the more time for that mixture to bleed away, the more time for the vac signal at the carb to weaken,the more time for leaky reed blocks to swap air from one crankcase sucking to its mate pressurizing....a bore job, oversize pistons,new reed blocks will tighten up the inside of the motor well enough to give your dependable, low idle speed back...but it will cost...

SteveI

Cadet

ODDD1, thanks for the input. Can you help me with the plastic bleed inserts? Where are they located? Could that be a source of the problem? How difficult is it to replace them if they are missing?

SteveI

Cadet

ODDD1, I intended to mention in my previous reply that the engine was rebuilt approx. 5 years ago. It was a total rebuild.