Sand clogged water jacket ?

bottleviking

Recruit
Hi. 4 year old sears/merc gamefisher 15 horsepower outboard. Ran this motor wide open through too much sand. Overheated and I shut-er down. Sat for awhile, then I recently pulled out the impeller and cleaned a fair amount of sand out from the water pump housing. Impeller, housing, and plate are in good shape. I removed the thermostat mount and pulled out the thermostat to find the hole it was in completely choked off with sand. I hosed out the hole untill water was coming out the water pick up slots. BUT...when I put the muffs on I cant get water to come out the thermostat hole. ??? Starting the motor it sounds fine and water is picked up and expelled through the exhaust hole, but still nothing from the idle relief holes. Bypassing ???Again, figuring I may have washed sand down into the pump I once more removed it and found it clean. I am wondering if there is a chance the internal water jacket could be plugged, and if so, how could it be removed ??? And why can I get water to flow down through the engine but not up ??? Is there a bypass or shortcut the water could be taking. Lengthy I know. Thanks in advance, Eddie the bottleviking.

ob

Admiral
Re: Sand clogged water jacket ?

Bottleviking, remove the water pump but once again and try to hose water through pump discharge tube and let vent out thermostat housing.

bottleviking

Recruit

OB, thanks again. It worked !!! It took a minute or so but I loosened up some stuck sand and away she flowed. I put it back together and dunked it in water and started it up and it flows on its own. Now I can go and find Celorons lead plate at the mouth of the Great Miami. And find it I shall !!!

ob

Admiral

Glad to hear you're off and running .Bring me back a d'bloon matey