what spark plug to use

James46

Cadet
Does anyone have a 1988 to 1997 40 hp Merc. that has the regular old spark plug in it? Is the factory (ring of fire plug)the only one you can use in them? If you know of a regular plug that will work that has the electroid on it like the split fire will you let me know what it is ? Jim :confused:

James46

Cadet
Re: what spark plug to use

How often do you need to change ( ring of fire plugs)? They are factory set.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Recommended plug is NGK:<br /><br />Spark Plug Part No. Stock No. Plug Gap <br />Standard BP8H-N-10 # 4838 Gap .040 <br /><br />Hope this helps! I assume you are refering to a "Surface" Gap plug when you say "Ring of Fire" Plug??

James46

Cadet

Yes -- the surface gap is factory and I would to try a standard plug. Will they burn hotter?? Jim

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

They will burn better at lower RPM'S. The surface gap plugs aremeant for High Speed Operation and will foul often if ran otherwise. I only change my plugs once a year, unless one fouls out for some reason. run the ones that are suggested in the post above and you will be better off!

James46

Cadet

Thank You -One more thing . Who is the best manufacturer of the standard plug ? Does NGK make them? I do troll alot. Thanks again

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yes, NGK is what you want. See my post above for the # you need. Should be able to get them at Dealer or NAPA auto parts store.

wboard1979

Cadet

hey guys i've got a 94'force 120,the plugs for it don't have the little hook coming off the end.they are just flat and you can't gap them.i'm no expert on these things but i am curious if i could use a different type of plug for trolling or is this not recomended? I guess you would call it a standard plug?

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

wboard1979,<br />I checked and they don't show an alternative for your plug. Sorry!<br /><br />Standard BUZHW #2147 ---

wboard1979

Cadet

thanks for the reply, I Guess i'll go with motor till it's gone and deal with it. its probally not worth worrying about. i've heard nothing but bad about force engines, last one i'll own. then i'll get a "v" motor insted of this inline 4.kind of imbaressed of telling people that I own a force.

James46

Cadet

I would like to thank everyone for the info on my motor. I put in the new plugs and bypassed the oil injector and the motor runs better now than it has in a long time. Very Happy now . Thanks again Jim Nell Iowa.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

wboard1979,<br />Nothing wrong with a Force. They just need a little more care to keep them running right! Maintenence is the key to keeping those Motors running. If you follow all the Maintenence schedules and decarb it once a year, it should last a long time!

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

rickdb1boat ......since you have access to some good info, do you know what they recommend for a 1976 Merc 150 inline 6?.....thanks in advance!

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

NGK Spark Plug: Standard BUHW Part No. # 2622 <br />It is a Surface Gap Plug, No Electrode!

James46

Cadet

If you have never tried Car Quest for outboard motor parts You should. They have parts for just about every outboard you can name. Cheeper than dealers too. Jim

Boatin Bob

Lieutenant Commander

rickdb1boat....thanks for the spark plug info!