93 MERC BLAC MAX 150 V6 OIL WARNING MODULE

gerndogsdm

Cadet
My merc has just recently sarted giving me an intermittent beep from the warning module horn. To make a long story short, everything has been changed I have been told about and more.(three different warning modules, motion sensor, oil tank cap/float sensor, ignition switch, and warning horn.) you can have everything on the module unhooked except for the brown/blue wire and the horn still sounds as soon as the engine is turned over. It dosent even matter if it starts or not. At this point I don't have any ideas. The oil system is working properly, I have run all tests on sensors the manual gives and the pump and everything is doing what it is intended to. anything would be much appreciated, thanks, gerndog

kev_alaska

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 93 MERC BLAC MAX 150 V6 OIL WARNING MODULE

On that Merc, the manual calls for a test of the low-oil Sensor if the warning horn activates with the oil reservoir full.<br />1 Disconnect the 2 low-oil sensor wires from their bullet connectors. One is blue, one black. <br />2 Connect an ohmmeter between the sensor wires<br />3 With the oil reservoir full, no continuity should be present. If continuity is present, replace the low-oil sensor. <br />4 If no continuity is present, perform a Motion sensor test <br />5 Disconnect the white warning module wire at it's bullet connector between the module and motion sensor. Connect a voltmeter between a good engine ground and the white wire from the module. Turn the ignition switch to ON position and note the voltmeter. The voltage should be 11-13 volts.<br />6 Reconnect the white wire to the mocule and insert a probe into the blue/white bullet connection between the motion sensor and warning module. A paper clip will work.<br />7 Connect a voltmeter between engine ground and the blue/white wire. Place the ignition switch at ON again. <br />8 Using the starter rope, rotate the flywheel while watching the voltmeter. the voltage should peak at 4-6 volts, then drop to less than 1 volt during every 2 revolutions of the flywheel. <br />9 If no voltage is noted, the motion sensor is defective or the oil pump drive is not turning. Check oil pump output. If within acceptable range, replace motion sensor. If not, repair pump assembly.<br /><br />Good Luck<br />Kev_alask***

gerndogsdm

Cadet

Thanks for the advice but unfortunately I have already done those steps as well as replaced the motion sensor itself. Also I totally purged the oil system to check for any possible air locks and ran the motor from a remote tank with 50:1 pre mix. I got the correct amount of oil from the pump at the rpms the manual suggest, so this is why I am so stummped? Everything is working 100% as well as everything associated with the oil system has been replaced by me including three different modules. I was wondering if there is a possible power strike that could be causing the horn to sound? possibly a short?<br />Thanks agian, gerndog.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Did you check the DVA voltage on the green wire to warning module?

gerndogsdm

Cadet

clanton, I'm not sure what that is, I thought I had covered everything. I have had it to two different certified merc. techs. and they are stumped? I'm not a mech. at all besides plugs and lower unit oil. But I am open to anything at this point. You sound very knowledgeable, have you ever herd of this before? After everything has been changed? <br />Thanks for the reply and advice, gerndog.

clanton

Rear Admiral

Kev_alaska has most of the tests, but there is a few more, are you using a Merc service manual that matches the engine. There is chart for horn stays on when ignition turned to on position. The green wire goes to the switchbox output termial to coil. The voltage from switchbox to coil has to be in specs, the coil and sparkplug wire should be checked. The tan and blue wire goes from module to horn and picks up the temp sensor wire along the way, try disconnecting the temp sensor.

gerndogsdm

Cadet

Thanks guys, (Kev-alaska, clanton) is there any certain voltage I should look for through these test. I'm to the point where I believe it is such a deal as a short or grounded wire. I hope I can find it because I missed salmon in august and am still dry docked wondering why i'm not fishing when every thing works; but still getting a stupid warning horn. I want to just bypass and mix but all the techs say there is no reason for that because the system is working fine? What should a guy look for or do at this point. Is it something that will cost g's like I just put into it in august with no results or ? Thanks again, gerndog

clanton

Rear Admiral

400 rpms 90-145 volts, 1000 rpms 125-175 volts, 3000 rpms 175-240 volts switchbox output to coil using a peak reading meter. Check green wire at module. If the techs says everything is fine, and cant repair the warning horn, why should you believe anything they say.

gerndogsdm

Cadet

Thanks clanton, i have always trusted the people I have taken my motors to as certifed techs, but at this point I seem to have more info than them. (thanks to you guy's) I sure hope that those readings will verify my prob. I will be in touch. <br />Thanks again, gerndog

gerndogsdm

Cadet

Well all the tests checked out and the the thing still beeps. Is there any other possible cause? The only way I can get it to stop beeping is to unhook either the tan / blue wire from the module or the tan / blue wire from the wiring harness which runs to the same connector as the module wire above mentioned.