tow line and prop

nightvision

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi all,<br />Here is a tow rope question. I purchase a tow line for tubing and kneeboarding and it float in the water. I'm curious to know if one have to put a float attachment to the towline at the area around the stern drive. I'm just concern that the line might get tangle up with the prop. Is this necessary? Thanks

milkyway

Chief Petty Officer
Re: tow line and prop

That's why people have the tower. Does not matter if you have a mock-up float attachment. When the boat twists and turns and stops, the tow line will be all over the place on the stern. The line floats but just be very cautious.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

LOL- Been there, done that. When I was down in Tennessee last month we were headed out on the first day of the trip to go tubing. I put the boat in neutral and backed up and the engine just quit. Yep, it ate the harness for the tow rope. I had to unwind it from the prop to get it off. No real damage, just embarrassing. I have to hook my harness to the transom eyes as I have no tower. The harness I have has a float on it to keep the prop from eating it but it had been put on the boat improperly and there was too much slack. I shortened it up and it was fine. <br /><br /> The tow ropes I've seen have a float near the boat end. Not sure if that's like that on all of them though. <br /><br /> The towers are great and one will be on my list for add-ons next year. I like the ones that pop in and out easily. About $200 most places. <br /><br />UFM82

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just don't go in reverse. That how I quit havin that problem.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Exactly...reverse is an evil thing when towing!<br />It's not just props too. Tow ropes also get sucked up into jet drive boats and that's no fun either.<br /><br />In adition to a tower, ski pylons are also something to consider. Pylons are good when you have a boat used for other things besides tow sports.