Mercury 50 mystery

g0lib

Recruit
Can anyone help ? My 50 hp 3 cylinder 1990 Mercury outboard runs rough, it does'nt appear to be running on the bottom cylinder, <br />It has 2 carbs feeding the 3 cylinders, both carbs seem to be putting fuel in, and there is a spark at all the plugs, but the mixture screw on the bottom carb does'nt seem to alter the engine's when running.<br />I've had both carbs off, they seem ok.<br />When the engines been running and I compare the 3 plugs the bottom one seem clean as though it hasnt done any work, also taking the plug lead off makes little differance on tick over.

ehenry

Commander
Re: Mercury 50 mystery

If one of the plugs is clean, sound to me like you're getting water in the cylinder. Possible head gasket blown.

joe Hetz

Cadet

Just a idea.<br /> check the gaskets on the reed valve blocks as you may be sucking air instead of gas.<br /><br />Had that problem on Merc. 75 and that took care of it.

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G,Day. Check compressions, The 50 Merc 3 Cyl Does not have a head gasket so you can rule that out. Check for spark. You may have no spark on no.3. May be dirt in the bottom carby.