Starter Trouble

kbaker7544

Cadet
I have a 1980 Mercury 50 HP motor that is having trouble. The starter is not engaging the flywheel when I try to start it. I tested the battery and it shows a full charge. When I check voltage at the Solenoid where the battery connects and ground out to the motor it still says 12 volts. I tried metering the starter while starting it and it appeared that there was no voltage. So I thought the Solenoid was bad when I jumped the Solenoid the starter moved slightly. Finally I decided to run a test by jumping my battery from my pick-up and the motor started right up. Is it possible that the battery is actually bad even though it appear to be holding the voltage? Please advise.<br /><br />Thanks

mrc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Starter Trouble

I would say it is most likely the battery.<br /><br />Try the following: Get a jumper cable from your<br />car and use only the red wire. Connect the<br />Red wire to the battery, and touch it to the<br />the connection on the starter motor where the<br />red wire connects. If the starter does anything <br />other than run vigerously, replace battery.<br /><br />PS. Leave ignition switch off to make sure that<br /> the motor does not actually start.<br /><br />PPS. leave all the rest of the wiring intact<br />during this test. Particulary important that<br />the negative battery wire is connected to engine<br />block.<br /><br />Mike

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Starter Trouble

1) Get battery load tested. Voltmeter doesn't tell the whole story, though a fully charged battery will read ~ 12.68 vdc.<br />2) If battery OK, clean and check all (+) and (-) terminations.<br />3) Check solenoid by taking a jumper (car jumper) from batt (+) to starter (+). If starter cranks properly, either the solenoid or keyswitch is fault. Replace as needed.