Powerhead removal MercV6

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class
Motor is 9 years old and was advised to change the lower end seals which means lifting the powerhead. With all the bolts removed no end of force would separate the powerhead from the engine. Even with a gantry attached to the flywheel and the boat (1.4tonnes) lifted off the blocks it showed no attempt to split. Tried unscrewing the studs and that did not work either. The engineer said that the 4 long bolts at the front were typically corroded in and only extreme heat or sawing through the exhaust plate would do it. Has anyone any less destructive ideas. Needless to say I decided to just bolt the whole ting back up as there is no evidence of a problem yet.<br />Thanks

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Powerhead removal MercV6

Have you tried dynamite? I have yet to run into a motor where the lower unit service required pulling the powerhead, unless you're referring to the lower main crank shaft seal, but maybe you have it. Usually, the lower unit is removed by disconnecting the shift linkage, removing some cap screws, and vola, the LU drops! But your motor may be special, what do I know.<br /><br />In any case, if you don't already have one, I would suggest getting a shop manual for your motor.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

If it ain't broke, why are you fixin' it?<br />You probably do need a new water pump but that doesn't require removing the p/h. Like the WildeOne said, get yourself a manual and go from there.<br /><br />g'luck & c/6<br /><br />Hooty

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Andy, dont mess with what isnt broke! you went through so much grief because of what 'someone' told you....a second opinion would certainly helped sooner....my 2 pence...you have 3 choices..1, sell it 2,drive it till it breaks and scrap it 3,drive it till it breaks,THEN fix it...

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G'Day Andy. You are probebly past the point of no return. Dont forget that there are 2 Nuts right at the front of the motor under the carbys and 2 nuts at the back of the motor under the exhust plate. Interesting spot that you live. Visited there once, Beautifull part of the world.

AndyL

Petty Officer 1st Class

Many thanks to all that replied. Computer been down for a few days so have only just managed to access replies. I particularly appreciate ODDD1 advice as I came to same conclusion. Trouble is "experts" frighten the living daylights with tales of woe if this preventative stuff is not done. Also the top mounts could be checked at same time so it seemed all worth while. However with the likelyhood of major destruction I gave up. The local Merc dealer was quoting 20hours labour to remove the powerhed which would have cost more than the motor was worth. No one actually suggested Dynamite but I will offer it as a suggestion to anyone else attempting it on their motor.<br />Thanks to all. Andy

orca

Chief Petty Officer

G'Day. Andy, Move to the mainland, Fast!!. Better still move to Australia, Your marine mechanic is a crook. In 20 hours not only should you be able to remove the powerhead but you should be able to rebuild the motor, service the water pump, tune the motor, clean the boat. replace the trailer tyres, mow the lawns, walk the dog, wash the dishes, iron your shirts and keep the wife happy!!