Mercury 9.8 Shift Problems HELP!!!

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was given a 9.8hp Merc 110 yesterday that did not run and was replaced by a new Merc 15hp 4 stroke. When I got it home I gently pulled the starter rope to see if the engine was seized and to my suprise the engine started!!!. The engine is in good shape with #125lbs compression on cylinder #1 and #130lbs on cylinder #2. When I took the drain screw out of the shaft no oil came out.When shifted from neutral to forward the engine stalls at any speed. If I barely push the lever it is fine but it will barely catch then engage. And when shifted from neutral to reverse the lever moves but nothing happens and the prop turns like it was in neutral. WHAT COULD THE PROBLEM BE???

sloopy

Commander
Re: Mercury 9.8 Shift Problems HELP!!!

Fill the lower unit with Penitrating oil. DO NOT START IT! LET ME SAY AGAIN DO NOT START IT, then drain the oil next remove both screws and remove the gears, and they maybeworn, take the loer unit (it is one piece now, there should be nothing attached just a odd looking hunk of aluminum and ish wash it! then reinstall all hardware/shaft/impellor/gears/screws/ and re oil!

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Remove the shaft or remove the prop and prop shaft?<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Bill

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I forgot to mention that as soon as I noticed there was no oil in it(before I started it) I filled it up with Outboard Lower Unit oil. <br /><br />Bill

sloopy

Commander

both, remove every thing from it.

bjarnold

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I talked to the guy that gave me the motor and he said the reverse has not worked in years. But now I have another problem. When I pull the choke out and pull on the starter rope fuel starts running out of the carbuerator. I installed all new gaskets and checked the float and it still leaks.<br /><br />Bill