What do I need to do to get my o/b running?

Jumper

Seaman
I recently bought an aluminum bass boat with a '73 85hp Merc outboard on it. According to the guys wife, the boat hasn't been run for the last 10 years, maybe more. I'm hearing I need to do a tune-up and replace the water pump. After calling around and finding out how much it would cost to do both (about $400), I figured I can do the work myself. So I ordered the repair manual. Question I have is, what do I need to do for a tune-up (i.e. plugs, wires, carb cleaning, etc.) Is there an all inclusive list of things to be done? And how tough is it to do the tune-up? :confused: Any suggestions/comments is appreciated :)

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: What do I need to do to get my o/b running?

There are some good post on here on what to do with a motor that has been sitting a while. Do a search and you will find them. Carbs, impeller, battery, wiring, fuel system are just a few things that should be looked at. You did a good thing by getting a manual. When you get it, it will walk you thru just about everything. The things it wont you have this board. Alot of people who are willing to help. Not much you cant do yourself with a manual and the great people on this board.<br /><br />Good luck

Jumper

Seaman

Jason, I read your previous post. How difficult was it to do all that? What was the toughest part? :confused: <br /><br />I went back thru and read some of the other/older posts and I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't go ahead and take it in and have someone go thru it with a fine tooth comb. Sounds like there's a lot that needs to be checked/repaired/replaced since it's been sitting so long :rolleyes: What do you guys suggest? Do the work myself (I ordered the manual) or take it in since I'm an outboard rookie?

KCLOST

Commander

Jason, <br />I'm also interested in your ordeal. I have a '84 Bass Tracker 2 with a 50hp Merc. I have pulled the power head and replaced gaskets, pulled the lower unit also... <br />But never gotten into replacing the seals...I read your other post on the leak. Hows that going, I replied also...

almost retired again

Chief Petty Officer

Hello Jumper, I'm from the old school; if it ain't broke don't fix it. What I would do is to drain the lower unit oil, pressure test it, and if it holds add new oil. Pull the carbs and thoroughly clean them. Pull the spark plugs and add some fogging oil to each cyl. then crank it over a few times. Put in new spark plugs. Check for a good spark on all cyls. You might check the wiring, the insulation on the older Merc. engines was notorious for rotting and flaking off. If it's bad you can order a new wiring harness, and get the new and improved insulation. After all this crank it up and enjoy. Oh yeah I would put in a new water pump impeller kit.<br />Good luck

Merc Man1635

Cadet

you will never go wrong buying new parts! especially the important stuff like water impellors, spark plugs, fuel lines, and wiring harnesses. all this is relatively cheap and if you do the work yourself, you can save tons of money and dont have to wait a month for the marina mechanic to look at it. 10 years is a long time for a motor to sit! just make sure you dont overlook something!!! good luck and good boating!

Jumper

Seaman

This is what I've come up with so far after reading some old posts, asking questions to other boaters, etc. Basically, I need to check compression and spark (which I assume the manual will tell me how :confused: ), change the plugs and plug wires, clean and tune the carbs, change the impeller, change the lower unit gear grease and check the wiring harnesses/fuel lines (I did notice I had some bad wires; insulation is gone in a couple of areas) Did I miss anything? With a motor sitting this long, is there something a rookie like me should pay attention to too make sure there's nothing wrong?<br /><br />Another question I had is the gas tank. It's been sitting as long as the boat and motor. Should I clean it out and keep using it or should I just invest in a new one (the old one is metal)? If cleaning it out will work, what should I use to clean it with?<br /><br />I appreciate the help so far, but beware, there will be more questions to follow :D So any and all suggestions, comments, complaints, gripes, etc is greatly appreciated and solicited! ;)

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Jumper - The hardest part was the lower unit. I had a hard time getting the water tube seated correctly. Had to take it on and off 4,5 or 6 times. Don't remember exactly how many, just know that I can do it in about 15 min. now - off and back on. :eek: <br /><br />This is my first boat/motor, so I have no experience either. I just dove right in (with the manual, of course). There are lots of pro's on this board and others that will help LOTS for FREE! ! ! :D I wouldn't take it in, too much money and you're missing out on a fun hobby. Plus, if anything goes wrong on the lake, you'll have at least some knowledge on how to fix it. Almost Retired Again has the right idea, I think. Fire it up and see what you get. After fixing a few things first (impellar, gunk in the gas, etc.) I would suggest a compression test near the beginning to find out if the work is even worth doing or to find out how much work there really will be. <br />Let me know if there is anything I can do to assist. I am no pro, but I am going through the boating school of hard knocks right now. <br />Finally, the things to look out for . . . <br /><br />varnish where gas used to be<br />corroded electrical connections<br />gas system leaks<br />no water from the pee hole<br />very low compression numbers or widely varying numbers from each cylinder <br />no spark<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />KCLOST - I replied to your posting on the boating forum. I found the leak, though. I think I am going to try the JB Weld and see if that works. The area is easily accessable and I won't mind replacing the stuff if it doesn't hold (as long as it lasts a few weeks or months at a time). <br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jason

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good method for cleaning a metal tank is to place a couple dozen marbles in the empty tank and ride around with it in your truck. After a few days it will shine. Also it is pretty cheap to replace it with a plastic one. Good Luck

Jumper

Seaman

Neversail, <br />Would you say working on the lower unit should be a two man job for ease of lifting it on and off?

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you don't have the marbles you can use some clean rocks of about the same size.

horndog

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since my tank for my '58 evinrude is pressurized and they don't sell those anymore, I took a bit of muriatic acid 20:1 with some rocks and water and got all the rust and varnish out of there. Then I had to take it all apart and reseal the tank.<br /><br />I am in the same boat as you(no pun intended, or is it?), and my motor has been sitting for at least ten years, and I need to check eveything in it. I get spark. Checking spark is easy, and if yours is a pull start, or whatever, get a buddy to hold the spark plug on the wire out of the cylinder, and hold it to a nut on the motor, close enough to have the plug arc. Do all the cylinders to make sure all of them work. This way you know if you have spark and your electrical ignition system is in order.<br /><br />Another overlooked system in on motors that have been sitting, is compression. You need to check compression.I used an automotive compression tester to check it, it screws in the spark plug hole, make sure it doesn't go any deeper than the spark plugs you have in there or suppose to have in there! if it is longer you can damage the pistons!<br /><br />Fuel system is most likely the culprit of not starting in a motor that has been sitting for years or decades. Fuel residue will "varnish" and clog up your fuel system including the carb. The reed vavles can be clogged and other needle valves as well. Replace fuel hoses too, its cheap and a small investment

Jumper

Seaman

What's the deal with putting marbles or rocks into the gas tank to clean it out? Does it act like sandpaper or something? Never heard of doing that before so please excuse my ignorance :confused: :D

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Pulling the lower unit is a one man job. It may be more fun and easier with two, but you can handle it, as long as you can physically pick up a case of beer or a couple of cartons of milk. Not that heavy. Be ready for it to come right off, though. It may drop once that last bolt comes off. Probably not, but you might get lucky!<br /><br />The part you may need help with (or I did anyway) was lining up the linkage bolt with the upper portion of the motor and the shift shaft. I just had my wife come out and help me the first time. All she had to do was look and say "OK, that's far enough." Funny, that isn't the 1st time she's said that . . . LOL.<br /><br />After that first time, it was totally a one man job. <br /><br />When I cleaned my gas tank, I used some carb cleaner and new gas along with about 50 metal nuts instead of marbles. Rattled 'em around a little and pulled them out with a magnet. <br />Did find out later there was a spark chance, which would have been bad, but no spark happened. :eek: <br />They just kind of pummel the interior of the tank and get all the gunk out from all the nooks and crannies. <br />Hope that helps,<br /><br />Jason

Jumper

Seaman

What should I use then to clean my tank? I'm guessing I should marbles not bolts ;) What type of "liquid" should be used then?

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

We used gas but you could use any good solvent such as varsol, mineral spirits, or denatured alcohol any thing that will cut the film on the bottom of the tank. Just remember all of these are flammable so like Neversail said be careful of sparks.

USS Neversail

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Carburator cleaner and gasoline is what I used. I also read that you can use brass nuts, as they don't spark. <br /><br />Good luck.<br /><br />Jason <br /><br />p.s. - caught my first fish in my new boat tonight! :D :D :D :D :D <br /><br />Don't even know what kind of fish it was. SO WHAT?!?! It's a fish. About 20" and 3 lbs. <br /><br />Woo-Hoo!!!

Jumper

Seaman

Neversail,<br />Congrats on your catch! :) I'm going to go ahead and take a good hard look at my tank and decide if I should just go ahead and buy a new one (which I'm leaning more towards) for my main tank then use the metal one as a back up after cleaning it up good. <br /><br />What about de-carbing? I'm reading other posts where guys are de-carbing their engines? Is this something I should consider doing after getting it running or should I just go with what I've got. This motor hasn't been run in over 10yrs. Pro's/Con's? Good/Bad?

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

couldn't hurt but i would worry about getting it running first.