Stuck Steering 150 Black Max

silv2jo

Cadet
I have an 87' 150 Mercury Black Max with original (I think) steering cables, etc.<br /><br />Its been running fine until last week when the steering stuck on me and I could not turn left. But it 'pop'ed' when I gave it a hard pull on the wheel, and went away. <br /><br />Yesterday it happened again. But it took some considerable 'encouragment' to make it 'pop' again. The most noticeable, is when the motor goes from dead straight to the left and back. Now it feels strange with a 6" play in the steering.<br /><br />Any ideas ? Thanks John :rolleyes:

sirstocker

Cadet
Re: Stuck Steering 150 Black Max

This exact problem happened to my 87' black max 150. It will freeze then unfreeze and then freeze again. This will keep happening until you break something.<br /><br />You have to get the old grease out of the steering tube (where the metal shaft goes in back by the motor) and put new grease in there. Get as much of the grease out as you can. Get it out any way you can. I used a long screwdriver with a carb cleaner saturated rag on the end and poked the old junk out. If that doesn't work then break out the propane torch to 'ease' things up in there. Replace old grease with the red colored trailer grease (available at tool stores like Northern Tool).

HowieDean

Seaman

Fix it before you use it anymore "Steering problems can get you killed"... Assume you have RIDE GUIDE steering... Is it single or double cable ???<br /><br />The slack is definatly not good and it isn't being caused by the cable being dirty... You most likely stripped the gear on either the rack or the cable... <br /><br />Unhook the cable from the engine tiller...<br />Back the cable nut off and pull it out of the tube... <br /><br />Now turn the steering wheel through it full range both ways... hold the cable and see if you can find where the slack space is...<br /><br />You will most likely be replaceing the cable so before you put it back in go ahead and clean the tube on the clamp bracket real good... You can buy a long brush that goes on your drill at most boat dealers for about 15 bucks... or you can use a dingle-berry hone....<br /><br />Again "DO NOT drive the boat until you get the problem fixed" sudden 360 degree turns at any speed are no fun.....

silv2jo

Cadet

thanks guys<br />I don't plan on using it until I get it fixed.<br />Will check out what you guys suggested later on tonight and post results.<br /><br />Not sure about the Ride Guide. How do I tell ?<br /><br />A guy at work told me to check the steering rack right behind the steering wheel. Does that make any sense?

HowieDean

Seaman

Most boats rigged with Merc motors use RIDE GUIDE..<br />When you crawl under the dash you should see a shaft and 2 bars sticking straight through.. Bolted across these bars will be a rectangular tube which is made-into your cable... There is a gear on the shaft that turns with the wheel and a bar with teeth on it inside the tube that follows the gear on the shaft.... <br /><br />If you crawl under there and find a Drum looking device it's a rotary helm... They are a little hard to get back together... Not complicated just tempremental... <br /><br />Let me know which you have and I'll try to give you some more help... Also if you have 1 or 2 cables...<br /><br />Again once you have the cable free you will be able to tell more about the condition of the under dash stuff without having to take it apart...

silv2jo

Cadet

Thanks HowieDean.<br /><br />Did not work on it yesterday. It wasy 97 outside with 90% humidity. Not something I wanted to do after working all day. <br /><br />Hopefully it will be better tonight and I can take a look at it.<br /><br />I'll post/email when I get better info.<br /><br />Thanks again

silv2jo

Cadet

Ok I got it somewhat taken out. Its a Teleflex Safe-T TS (which is no longer made). But the Teleflex website show a replacement model of <br />Safe-T II or QC. <br /><br />Does anyone have any preferrences of other suggestions.<br /><br />Now that I explored a little, it does not look like a complicated job. But is there anything I should look out for ?<br /><br />Thanks

HowieDean

Seaman

You shouldn't have any problems... pull the cable out of the boat from the helm end... If your cable goes through places that aren't easy to get to tie a wire on the end before you pull it.. then you can tye the new cable to the wire and pull it back through.... Alot of boats have the cables installed at the factory before the floatation foam is blown in so sometimes they can be a challange to pull... Good luck<br />
img10.jpg
img14.jpg