Attn Fly Boy Mark

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
I posted this on the non broke engine site. Hope you see it here.<br /><br />You mentioned Merc has discontinued all carb two strokes above 25 HP. Is this for 2003? What is the largest 4 stroke they will offer?<br /><br />More info please!!

FlyBoyMark

Ensign
Re: Attn Fly Boy Mark

EXCEPT for OPTIMAX line........I found this out when TNT Marine(biggest Merc volume dealer in S.E. US and my main supplier of parts) and Smile'n Jacks Marine tried to get me a 60 HP Merc 15" motor. They searched the entire South East US and could find nothing. They both also said that Merc was not building any more 2 cycle carbed or EFI above 25 HP except for OPTIMAX line and that I could not EVEN ORDER the 60 HP short shaft. Apparently, Mercury is introducing some new motors this fall......I suspect the Optimax line will fill in for LARGE engines for a short while till more four strokers are on the way. Whether or not Optimax stays in production, who knows. The smaller two strokes are still very popular because they are VERY light and MUCH cheaper compared to the four strokes but I think 2003 will be their last year too. I think the Mercury line is going to be all 4 stroke except for Optimax being used in high performance area....Mercury is real secretive 'bout this stuff for some reason. I suspect this is the end of the road for Mercury STANDARD 2 cycle engines

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Just got in Mark. Boy, that's interesting. What a shame.<br /><br />Thanks!

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

I just remembered..Tohatsu has something similar to the Optimax down to 50 HP now......