I have a '76 Mercury 115 and I need help! Bogging, dirty spark plugs, and timin

Massey

Cadet
My '76 Mercury 1150 115 hp is a 2 stroke - 6 cylinder, electric start, manual tilt and trim. It's on the back of a '76 Ranger 18 and a 1/2 foot, 185A. I bought the boat several months ago, and it ran decent, but not hot when I first got it. But, over the past 3 months it's performance has been going down. It is bogging really heavily out of the hole, and is not running hot at all. I've noticed at first that if I had a passenger go to the front of the boat, it would accelerate better, but now that's not helping. I removed the spark plugs and they're all moist with fuel and oil, and they have no electrode on them??? Anyway, I believe my timing is off, and I think the plugs are bad. But, I don't want to put the same kind of plugs back in, and I can't find a manual that I can afford to find out which plugs to put in them.<br /> What I really need, I need to know what plugs I should be putting in the engine, brand and number...how can I accurately measure my fuel oil mixture since it's a 2 stroke, and, what speed should I be experiencing with this boat? I think my prop might be a problem cause it's chewed up pretty good, and I think it might have a little to high of a pitch, but I don't know where to find the numbers on it. Please help????

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: I have a '76 Mercury 115 and I need help! Bogging, dirty spark plugs, and t

What tachometer readings go with original performance and declining performance? <br /><br />Fuel mix. 50:1 is one pint of oil per six gallons of gas, or close enough. I don't understand what the problem might be with that.<br /><br />Your prop certainly isn't helping your performance. Repair or replace it.<br /><br />Let us know. :)

wjones

Cadet

Those plugs are probably surface gap plugs. I have a 1970 135HP and it uses the same plugs.

mrm

Seaman

AC-V40FFM or Champion L76V, OR NGK BUHW<br />Gap is not adjustable<br />Don't mess with timing until you find a manual and study it. Stock prop. is 19 pitch. I run a 21 S.Steel. RPM should be between 5000 and 5500.<br />You need a working tach. and a manual.<br /> MRM

Massey

Cadet

Hey, thanks everyone for the quick and helpful info! I didn't know what mixture to target for my oil, but I'll start with that 50:1. Also, I found today, perma gap plugs from a local place that cross matched them for me. I don't remember the brand or number, but they're working great. The timing specs are actually listed right on my manifold on the inside, so I went off of that. Out of the water with the water muffs on, the boat reallllllllyyyyyy smoothed out. Purrs like a kitten instead of the rough rider sound before. My timing was at 16 degrees btdc, and was supposed to be 23. I think the next step is my prop, but caint afford it right now. Thanks to everyone who posted, any additional info would be appreciated too! Thanks, Major

ShafferNY

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a regular, house hold, measuring cup to mix oil with my gas. <br /><br />2.6oz. of oil to every gallon of gas. If it comes out to be some odd number(like 7.8oz), I round up(to 8oz.), better more oil than less.