2001 merc optimax are they quiet?

bobsboy1

Recruit
i'm thinking of buying a 2001 150hp optimax does anyone know if these units are reasonably quiet?

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2001 merc optimax are they quiet?

Never heard one, but I think I heard the 2001's had plug fouling problems. If this is true, it may be too quiet. You may want to consider this. I have a Merc 200 EFI, extremly happy with it. It sounds different from my previous Yamaha's (great engines), but I got used to it.

Duckbay

Cadet

Sit back and listen to all the comments and then make an educated decision.<br /><br />You might find there's a deathly silence.<br /><br />There's your answer.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

My neighbor has one on his bass boat...runs it wide open most the time(seems noisy)but I don't think it's any louder than my Johnson...just a Thought

wyattm

Seaman Apprentice

RJS, how do you like the 200 EFI, I justed ordered a Kencraft 206 with 200 EFI and 4 blade SS prop. What kind fuel econ are you getting? What plugs are you using and what type oil. Is it easy to start? I'm use Sto having twin 200 Merc with carbs -they were hare to start and gas hogs. Would only run with nkg plugs. Thank for any info.

RJS

Petty Officer 1st Class

Fourplay,<br /><br />You'll love the 200 EFI, it starts so easy, even when cold. It isn't that great on gas, but considering the price difference of the more efficient direct injection 2 srokes or 4 strokes, I think I'll do alright. I use Mercury Quicksilver oil and NKG plugs. You have made a great choice with the Kencraft Challenger/200 HP combo. Nice choice on prop. I actually test drove one with a 135 hp Merc, not enough engine. Once you have EFI, you'll never go back. have fun

dolce vita

Cadet

bobsboy1 said:
i'm thinking of buying a 2001 150hp optimax does anyone know if these units are reasonably quiet?

THEY ARE FAIRLY QUIET, UNTILL THE PISTONES MELT AND STAR KNOCKING LIKE AND OLD DIESEL ENGINE.I HAD TO REBUILT TWO OPTIMAXS.IT'S A LONG STORY. DO NOT BUY ONE.

studlymandingo

Commander

Apparently Dolce has had a bad experience, I don't think I've ever heard someone bashing quite so adamantly!

If you perform the proper maintainence on any outboard, you will have great service. Do not maintain ANY BRAND of outboard properly, you will have things like melted pistons and knocking sounds that resemble an old diesel engine.

The optimax is a great engine, more efficient than the its competitors, and usually a slightly lighter weight package.

Take care of your outboard, and you won't be a disgruntled owner.