voltage regulator

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone tell me what type of regulator i would need for my engine. Its a 1987 Mercruiser 165hp 4cyl.<br /><br />thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: voltage regulator

Interesting question. Give us some more info and we might be able to help.

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice

Well what kind of info would you need to help? <br /><br />The Engine model is McM-165. <br /><br />Engine serial# B647708<br /><br />What other type of info would i need to find the right part?

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

Has it been converted to an external alternator? If not you need to go to a Merc dealer.

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice

I cant convert it to an external alternator because i dont have enough room. <br /><br />I need to go to a Merc dealer?<br /><br /> I have seen alot of regulators for sale for mercuiser engines.<br /><br /> I'm just not exactly sure which one I need.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I remember correctly that engine with the internal charging system does not use a conventional regulator.<br />Either confirm you needs with a Merc dealer or buy a service manual for the engine. You don't want to fry that charging system.<br />****

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,<br /><br />I just placed an order for a service manual. And i did speak with a merc dealer and the info he told me is the same thing i hear from everyone. I need a voltage regulator. But what type i dont knowstill. So i'll wait untill i get the book. Hopefully i can get some info there.

petryshyn

Commander

can't see why the dealer doesn't know what kind it is? Maybe you should take the old one in as a sample? :confused:

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Most alternators used on various marine aplications much after the mid 60's use an alternator with itegral regulator circuit. Meaning the regulator may in fact be nothing more than a small electronic device within the alternator itself.

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captal, the regulator you need is the only one there is for these motors...it is mounted on the port side of the motor under the manifold, and has a cooling water passage on the back side of it....i beleive this part only avail thru a merc dealer, is expensive and is easily damaged....dirty battery connections/ unhooking the battery running just once will kill them.....you can buy the regulator in a kit with the 3/4" hoses if you still have the old 5/8" intake hose on the engine....

petryshyn

Commander

the regulators posted on that page appear to be for external conventional alternators. Yours I'm afraid is much more expensive. . . .<br />
boat.gif
Happy boating!!

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice

Is this web page a fake?<br /> http://www.theshadconnection.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?page=491 <br /><br />Seems to me there is more than 1 type of regulator for mercruiser i/o's.<br /><br />I'm not saying that you are wrong. I'm sure you know better than i do. But i'm just trying to do the right thing. <br /><br />I know for a fact that the dealers around where I live(brooklyn, NY) are ripping people off for parts. I got a quote for the alt conversion kit for $700 not including installation. And $300 for a regulator(and no info on what type exaclty)without installation also.<br /><br />The last thing i want to do is get ripped off. I do wish I had a dealer I can trust with a good price and work but I guess they are hard to come by.<br /><br />I'll keep on trying. I need to fix it somehow.<br /><br />I appreciate all the help.

DP

Petty Officer 1st Class

List price from Sierra Marine for the external alternator conversion kit, part #18-5953, is $640.56. Yes the replacement Merc regulator is very expensive. You would be far ahead to go for the conversion.

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice

The kit cost $350 from www.amarket.com <br /><br />The problem is i dont have enough room for it in front of the engine. <br /><br />So what i'll do is pay the $300 for the regulator.<br /><br />Thanks

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

How much space are you short and where? This 470 style charging system save only a little space up front because of the crank driven stator and maybe a little because of no belt driven alt.Seems to me that enlarging that doghouse to accomodate a more conventional and reliable charging system might be something to consider.

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the thought. But i dont have enough space in the front of the motor to place the pulley. I have about 2 1/2" in front of the engine before it reaches my gas tank. And i cant move the gas tank because it is welded in. <br /><br />Besided its much easier for me to install the new regulator than to play with the alt. kit.<br /><br />Also i was wondering if my engine was the only one made this way? I have never heard of something like this before.<br /><br />the part number for the regulator is #99502A13<br /><br />Thanks

clanton

Rear Admiral

If your engine does not have a power steering, you should be able to install a delco alternator where the power steering pump was located, The head has 2 3/8 threaded holes on stb/ right side of cylinder, using a junkyard alt with 3/8 X7 inch bolt and spacer into the lower hole. You should be able to put spacers on bolt to align alt with orignal belt groove.<br /> You dont have much choice for the regulator<br />you buy from Merc or a rebuildt from aftermarket. WWW.Rapair,com the best. Merc made this system about 10 years I think. The outboard motors have almost same system.

petryshyn

Commander

If you're not in a rush, I wouldn't mind taking a crack at repairing your defective one. Haven't repaired one of those yet...<br />
boat.gif
Happy boating!!

CAPTAL

Seaman Apprentice

Well i got lucky and found one i can plug in just to test it. Hooked the regulator up right. <br /><br />And same problem. Except this time the battery is not getting drained but the negative wire connecting to the battery is getting very very very hot. And when its hot its not starting. It is turning but no spark.<br />What can this problem be?

petryshyn

Commander

What was the original complaint anyway?! Is it possible you reversed the battery cables? OUCH :eek: did you have a no start symptom before? :confused: Is the cable getting hot from your extended cranking? Is it an actual battery cable that getting hot or a smaller ground wire? So many variables and so little time. . .<br /> :(