Weight of '82 Merc 90HP Six Cylinder?

Gary Tuthill

Cadet
Hello: I've been trying to find the weight of the above engine but have been unsuccessful so far. Any one have this information? Also, I'm contemplating replacing it with either a 90 or 115HP four stroke. Anyone replacing a similar motor have opinions on the four stroke? Specifically, I'm looking at how well it'll pull skiers, etc. Thanks in advance! Gary Tuthill<br />'82 Glastron SSV-151 25th Anniversary Edition

kevlar3000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Weight of '82 Merc 90HP Six Cylinder?

I believe it is 307 pds or something like that.....

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Gary, I am just curious as to why you would want a four stroke? A four stroke has more moving parts to wear out, and they are heavier than a 2-stroke, If you choose a 4-stroke make sure that you get enough power to make up for the extra weight. Good Luck

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also remember that your 1982 could be rated at 90hp crankshaft, while the newer ones are rated at the propshaft, which is a considerable difference 15-20% comes to mind, but I am not sure on this, but this is important in your considerations.

Gary Tuthill

Cadet

Evin: I've been looking closely at the whole two vs. four stroke thing for some time now. For me personally, it's an easy decision. What I see in the four strokes are increased fuel efficiency, less noise, less smoke, and smoother. What I see as the downside, are the two stroke snap out of the hole, cost, and weight. What you noted on crank vs. propshaft HP is important also. I'm satisfied with the performance of my '82 90HP and if it indeed is measured at the crank, I doubt I'll be dissatisfied with the four stroke 90. Now, I also realize that the DFI units out there have a lot going for them as well but for me it just makes sense to go to the four stroke. As for more moving parts, I have seen too many Hondas that just seem to go and go. It's my opinion (and I'm often wrong!) that the four stroke will be more trouble free than any of the new two strokes. If my motor does in fact weigh 307lbs, then I can get a Yamaha 100HP that weighs in at about 386 if memory serves me. I figure the extra 10 horses would carry the extra 81lbs quite well. Feel free to tell me why I'm off base on this one, I always listen to the advice of others. Thanks. GT

mbb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

your motor weighs 290 lbs without trim/tilt. Probably about 320 including the remote T/t pump if you have it

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gary... I wouldn't be surprised if four strokes soon dominate the outboard market...not because of performance...but rather emission standards. Rumor around here is Oregon may outlaw the use of two stroke outboards on certains bodies of water! Ouch! Nowadays, there's a lot to consider when repowering. Good luck!

evin300

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey Gary, It would be neat if you could simulate the extra wieght with your current set-up and then it would give you an idea of performace loss, in fact if you noted the RPM and MPH at WOT we could calculate how much more HP is needed to acheive a certain MPH. Its hard to think that 80-100 lbs could make much diffence and it probably wouldnt if it was distributed evenly throughout the boat, but unfortunatly is added onto the extreme end of the boat, so the power of the leverage is difficult to calculate. It will make your boat ride lower in the water, there increasing friction, and possibly wiping out the fuel effiency argument.<br /><br />Have to agree with Walter, that there is alot to consider when re-powering and definetly worth the effort to make a good choice! There is no "right" choice, in the end it probably comes down to personal preference, The only right choice is the informed choice, Good Luck, Mike