Mando alternator

cschauerj

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a new mando alt. on my mercruiser and noticed it won't function unless a certain RPM is achieved(for example 2000rpms). Is anyone familiar with this type of alternator and is it common for a marine alt. to have a cut-in RPM?

Fouled Plug

Ensign
Re: Mando alternator

Generally, the higher the alternator output, the higher the cut-in RPM. Most alternators will cut in below 1000 RPM. A ratio of at least 2:1 off the crank pulley is needed, you apparently have a higher ratio already. How many amps is the Mando vs. the original Delco? With your cut in speed I would expect a 100 + amp unit.

cschauerj

Seaman Apprentice

A Mando was original on this engine although it was a 55amp. The replacement is a 65amp.

Fouled Plug

Ensign

You may want to go with a larger pulley diameter on the alternator. What did you determine your current ratio was? An alternator can spin some major RPM's so the pulley re-sizing may be the easiest/cheapest way to go. Either that, or get used to goosing the trottle till the unit kicks in. :)

petryshyn

Commander

Hello there FP!!<br />larger pulley on alt = slower rpm<br /><br />>he already has 3:1 <br />>could go higher if we knew his max engine rpm