1978 85 HP Evinrude will not Tilt Down.

sheadavis

Recruit
I have just purchased a 1978 85 HP Evinrude. The motor tilts up fine but will not tilt down. The motor makes noise like it is trying. By further inspection, I have noticed that there is a switch mounted on top of the tilt motor that is triggered when the motor reaches the two metal posts. The wires to this switch have been cut. I am assuming that this is part of the issue. However, I can not find were these wires are supposed to go to. Any help?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1978 85 HP Evinrude will not Tilt Down.

YOU ARE PROBABLY LOOKING AT THE TRIM SENDER. THIS SWITCH SENDS A VARIABLE SIGNAL TO A GUAGE ON THE DASH THAT SHOWS THE TILT/TRIM POSITION OF THE ENGINE. IT IS NOT RELATED TO YOUR PROBLEM.

nagasama

Cadet

does the manual release valve work?<br />i.e. when you open it, does the motor slowly sink down?

incorrigable

Recruit

has any one have an explanation to this as mine is doing the same thing?:

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Here is a list of the Common problems. I have the same motor and Tilt and trim, I have not had a problem with mine yet though.

Will not trim down you need to check the following

filter valve -seat
Manual Release
Impact Sensor valve
trimdown pump relief valve
pump control piston not opening trim check valve
trim check valve plugged

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

That motor may have a seperate trim and tilt control box.Look for it mounted in your boat.About 6 x 8 inches with a bunch of wires .locate the blue and green wires.If you jump positive to the green(down)the motor should lower,blue up.In that box there are many connections.Fact it goes up ,tells me there is a problem on the green side ,like dirty connections,possible a bad solonoid,

littletunny

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does the trim move at all when you try to trim down or will it totally not budge? Can you open the manual relief screw and move the shaft up and down? Sounds like a stuck check valve.

incorrigable

Recruit

mine moves slightly down then hangs up. it acts and sounds like it hitting a check valve. i can manually lower and raise it by releasing the screw. can you tell me where the check valve is located? or a schematic for the system as i do not have a service manual. thanks

wildmaninal

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe this is the one that you need.
Picture034.jpg