Motor boggs a high RPM

Snookkrook

Cadet
I have a 1989?(motor repainted) Johnson 225 CD6 looper. Motor runs fine at idle, once you get on plane motor will bogg as if it has water in the fuel. Water fuel seperator new, no H20 in it. New plugs, timming checked, compression good on all cylinders. Engine will limp home but will not run at high speeds. Just put new drive shaft in lower unit so I do not want to spend without solving problem. Sounds like carbs from previous forums I have read. Any help is greatly appreciated.

D

DJ

Re: Motor boggs a high RPM

Does your primer bulb go flat when this happens?<br /><br />It sounds like a fuel restriction to me. Watch the primer bulb. If it goes flat, try running it with the fuel filler cap loose.

Snookkrook

Cadet

primer bulb stays filled, maybe I should try to run with a portable tank to see if I can eliminate the tank and the line? Water pump is also brand new with lower unit repair.

D

DJ

maybe I should try to run with a portable tank to see if I can eliminate the tank and the line?
Great idea.

Snookkrook

Cadet

I ran motor with portable tank without any problems. So what kind of issues can be occuring with tank in boat? Vacume, bad lines, like I siad motor boggs at high speed and almost dies. I will remove tank, pressure test and check vent hose and pick up lines.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Can be a vent problem, anti-syphon valve, trash on fuel tank pickup, cracked pickup tube, air leak external to motor in fuel system.