90 Evinrude Etec oil question

Revinrude

Cadet
Gday all,<br />I have just traded my left nut for a 5.5 plate boat which i had a 2005 90 Hp Evinrude Etec fitted too.<br />The question I have is kinda self answering but I thought Id get an opinion from those in the know befor I raise the issue with the dealer.<br /><br />The motor has been programed to run XD100 and this was confirmed by the workshop staff when I asked them. The problem is that the oil tank looks to contain XD50 as the colour of the oil is Blue unlike the XD100 which is brown in colour.<br />Unless there is another brand of oil that is the equivalent to XD100 that is blue in colour, I think I have been given the bum steer? Why are they putting anything other than genuine Evinrude/Johnson oil in my engine anyway?<br /><br />The motor manual clearly states that using anything other than what the motor was programed to use would void the warranty and besides, as the motor is running in, it needs the best possible lube combination anyway. If it is in fact using less oil with the XD50 after being programed to use XD100 then the motor would not be getting the right mix.<br /><br />I realise that by using XD100 the motor can be programed to use less and this is where I am starting to worry as the lesser grade oil which the motor would normally need to be programed to use more of is in the tank while the motor is programed to use the XD100.<br />I got the "tell the customer what he wants to hear" reply to my concerns and I dont think any of them realy knew what type of oil the motor was running in with out of the box and said that it would be running with what ever it was shipped with?<br />I would imagine the motor would be shipped with no oil?<br />Any opinions on the information on the above would be appretiated.<br /><br />Cheers<br /><br />Tads

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 90 Evinrude Etec oil question

There is NO oil equivalent to XD100, at least not here. If there's any question about the oil, I would be inclined to ditch the blue stuff and fill with XD100. BTW, XD100 has benefits besides just lower oil use ... less carbon buildup, less frequent oil filling and about the same cost of operation.<br /><br />Who were you talking to that weren't concerned? The wrong oil when programmed for XD100 WILL smoke the motor. I've had extensive conversations with the tech where I've bought two E-Tec 175's that are being rigged for delivery to me next week. Your reading of the manual is 100% correct!<br /><br />Welcome to iboats.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

XD-50 has a bluish color to it, unlike the brown of the XD-100. Other brands may have a blue oil also, so who knows what is in there?<br /><br />Either have the EMM (computer) reset for TC-W3 oil right away, or dump the tank and start fresh with XD100 lube.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

You are right on with your concerns, and have gotten good advice. When any ETEC is reprogrammed for use with the XD100, the tech doing the conversion must purge the old oil out of the system. XD50 cannot be run at the reprogrammed setting. In addition, you cannot just add XD100 to whatever is in the tank. The tank/system must be pure XD100 and the oil lines must be bled to get the new oil up to the pump. Also, be sure you get the version II of the XD100. The later containers have a label on the front that says something like "winterize/all seasons" blend-I can't remember the exact label. The first version of the oil does not have this label and will not work in cold temperatures. There is a service bulletin on this.

Revinrude

Cadet

Yeah thanks good people, yer bloods worth bottling :D <br />I spoke to the dealer today about my concerns and he gave me a gallon of XD100 to replace the blue coloured oil that was in the oil tank from new.<br />He tried to tell me that it would mostley be XD100 as workshop supposedly topped up the tank with XD100 after programing the motor to run said oil but there was no evidence of a mix with blue and brown oil.<br /><br />I drained the old oil out and poured in the new XD100. I did not purge the oil lines because I was not sure how to do it but I figured that since its been running this long with the XD50 or whatever then a hour or so it would take for the new oil to come through would not matter? I'll keep an eye on it. Yes the new oil container states that the oil is designed for "extreme conditions" ie low temps.<br />I will get the workshop to plug in the computor to double check that it is indeed programed to run XD100. There has been a few mistakes thus far from them so better to be safe than sorry I guess.<br /><br />Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.<br /><br />Tads

gmcjohnny

Cadet

you can also run amsoil HP injector oil which is blue but a full synthic thats what we use in our motors an havent had a problem yet i have over 300hrs on my motors

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

gmcjohnny,<br /><br />How many E-TECs do you own?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by gmcjohnny:<br /> you can also run amsoil HP injector oil which is blue but a full synthic thats what we use in our motors an havent had a problem yet i have over 300hrs on my motors
Not=to XD100, however. Can be used like any 50:1 oil.