Question for dhadley

todd foster

Seaman Apprentice
I am still working on my 98 venom 200.Today I found out that my idle blead screws were off from what you say they should be for this engine.The right side were 10 turns out and the left side was 7 turns out.I just had these carbs rebuilt and do not understand why the mechanic would put the screws at this setting.Is it possible that they backed out?,all three the same on one side?.I also have used b12 chemtool to clean my plugs off several times and do not know if they are fouled beyond repair as they remain black and oily.What plugs do I need to put in this motor and what is the recomended gap.I am also replacing both thermostats today just for the fun of it.Thanks in advance.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: Question for dhadley

I've seen the screws out anywhere from 3 to 9 turns. Not real sure why they're different from each other but whatever makes the motor run. Obviously we have to know the motor is otherwise healthy and running as it's supposed to. <br /><br />You can run the QL77JC4 plugs gapped at .030 to .040. They shouldn't be dripping with oil/gas even after idling for a while. It'd be interesting to see what the mechanic says that did the work.

todd foster

Seaman Apprentice

Just talked to him and he said that the three on the left side is where he had to put them to get a decent idle on the hose.But when in water it does not do well at all.As soon as quickstart disengages idle goes to crap.I just changed both thermostats and just put in new ql 77's gapped at .035. The compression on all cylinders is around 110 with wet cylinders.Next thing for me to do is rig sparking block like you say to do and check wot timing.Boat runs really good part throttle to max rpm. 6100 rpm.,but I know that wot timing could mess up a whole lot of things.I also have a good link/sinc.I will run it this sunday.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Your "mechanic" should know that you dont set idle adjustments on the hose with no backpressure. Idle is always set in the water with the motor warmed up. I'd take it back to him and insist he put it in the water to do the proper adjustments.

todd foster

Seaman Apprentice

Which is why i am here.I am an automotive mechanic and very honest,almost to a fault.I have had the unpleasurable experience of working alongside of dishonest mechanics and it seems like i have found a lousy boat mechanic.I will not ever bring the boat back to him and quite frankly would like to learn about 2 strokes.I like this forum and am slowly but surley learning.I replaced all plugs with ql 77's,new thermostats,reset all idle bleeds to 6 turns out.This evening i cranked it up on the hose and it idled better than before but it would belch every once and a while.Turning idles one way or the other would make no difference.One thing i did notice is bulb when squeezed while running was not all the way tight.I could squeeze it back to firm but it would not stay that way.Also the little brass tube below venturi would leak some fuel out when i squeezed bulb.Only that one.My bowl gaskets are ok and I never have any significant fuel or oil in breather after running.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

It is normal for the primer bulb not to stay hard when the engine is running. It is not normal for a carb to leak.

todd foster

Seaman Apprentice

Well like i said i am not sure what the brass tube below the throttle body is that had fuel coming out of it but it only leaked when i squeezed the bulb.