Evinrude Fisherman 6 in the UK

RichieUK

Cadet
Hello there from the UK! <br /><br />I came across this site by accident really but its brilliant. I've always has an interest in boats and all things mechanical - am a car nut - heres my new Peugeot 206... :cool: <br /><br />
Pug206.jpg
<br /><br />Bit of random history - I lived in Cheraw, South Carolina for a few years back in the late 80's with my grandparents - we had a 12' Jon boat with a Johnson Colt and Minn Kota, and 16' ski boat with a 70's Johnson 35 which was great. When we moved back to the UK we brought with us a 14' Zodiac Rib with a brand new Johnson 15 (lovely motor). Sadly that was sold years ago to someone on the North Wales coast and when my grandad passed away two years ago the desire to get into boats grew again...<br /><br />I bought this Evinrude 6hp Fisherman off a guy on eBay for £36 ($62). Its a bit battered but it runs - has a new fuel pump to fit though as it won't idle very well at present. <br /><br />Here are a few pics <br /><br />
Fisher01.jpg
<br />Built a custom wooden stand from offcuts :) <br /><br />
Fisher05.jpg
<br /> Prop has seen better days and that rubber cap is not OE.. <br />
Fisher02.jpg
<br />Block is very clean... red gasket seal? :confused: <br /><br />Anyway, I've decided I'd like to maybe restore it as its a smart engine and 6hp a useful size. And it seems OMC engines have featured a lot in my boating life so far lol. My best friend and me are gonna buy a small inflatable for the summer. <br /><br />I really would appreciate any advice on whether or not I should pursue this project - I do need various parts and I want to strip and repaint it myself. I'm very mechanically minded and have done things like change a water pump on a car, brakes, etc and I fit car audio. <br /><br />I believe these OMC units are easy-ish to work on. <br /><br />I'd love to know a bit of history on this model too if anyone could help? The seriel number is: 6903 M C52478. I'm guessing it's maybe late 70's or early 80's?? <br /><br />Thank you for reading and happy boating! <br /><br />Regards, <br /><br />Richie

RichieUK

Cadet
Re: Evinrude Fisherman 6 in the UK

A few more boating pics: <br /><br />Our ski boat with a 35 Johnson (and Colt)at a gravel pit lake in Cheraw, SC. <br /><br />
BeckerLake.jpg
<br /><br />My folks lived in Dubai for a few years and had this BEAST - a 30' 'smuggling boat' with twin 150 V6 Johnsons.. they were AWESOME!!<br /><br />
DubaiBoat02.jpg
<br /><br />My current model project - a balsa R/C speedboat with Jackson 7.2v 540 outboard :) <br /><br />
Components.jpg
<br /><br />Thanks :) <br /><br />Richie

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The 6903 is the model number, Richie. It is a 1969 6hp, and one of the great ones.<br /><br />First suggestion: Get an OEM Service Manual.<br /><br />Parts are not difficult to find, even in the UK, and the engine is easy to work on, but ONLY if you have and study the Service Manual.<br /><br />Best of luck, and

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

6903 is a young 1969 6HP Evinrude, Richie.<br /> web page <br /><br />It will be happy with regular unleaded gas mixed 50:1 with TCW-3 oil.<br /><br />It needs hi viscosity lower unit gear oil.<br /><br />You will find that the Johnson parts will match except for the cover (cowl).<br /><br />BRP publishes good parts diagrams now: web page <br /><br />You can look up the spark plugs and gap here: Spark Plug Chart <br /><br />Good luck with your boating!

RichieUK

Cadet

Hi JB and Ezeke - thank you for that! Wow, 1969?! She's definately an old girl. I found my Evinrude on the BRP site via your link Ezeke and it has my model on there! If the parts are on that are they still available? <br /><br />Was the Fisherman the equivalent of a Johnson SeaHorse? Seems OMC were badge engineering long before car makers cottoned on to the idea it seems lmao :D <br /><br />I have a Clymer Workshop Manual on CD atm although it only covers 1973-1990. <br /><br />When you say 'one of the great ones' I take it they are tough motors? Worth pursuing then? <br /><br />Thank you both and kind regards! This site looks like a lifeline!! <br /><br />Richie :)

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Most parts are still around, new or used. One suggestion though, every old motor I have, has a parts motor. I buy one to run and one to salvage parts. <br /><br />I have my father's 1965 Johnson 6HP and it still starts right up and runs like a top. <br /><br />BTW, that cylinder head job looks like someone did not want to buy a new gasket. If you get the time you might want to clean that up and put a new gasket on there - it is just looking for trouble.

RichieUK

Cadet

The parts I desperately need are a rubber twist grip for the tiller as it has gone completely :( <br /><br />Are they good motors due to their simplicity? What sort of things do you have to watch on these engines? <br /><br /> :)

RichieUK

Cadet

Originally posted by ezeke:<br /> <br />BTW, that cylinder head job looks like someone did not want to buy a new gasket. If you get the time you might want to clean that up and put a new gasket on there - it is just looking for trouble.
Thats what I thought when I saw it - glad you confirmed that. I'd imagine gaskets aren't expensive, they aren't on cars lol.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

We are not supposed to dabble in parts selling or trading around here, but maybe if you put an email address out there for a while someone might give you one (Shift Handle 0204188) they don't need. Those grips were used on lots of models between 1968 and 1973, so there are many around.<br /><br />Just don't leave your address for long or you will pick up the crackpots. You can use the edit post button to take it out.<br /><br />You asked what to look out for: The water pump impeller. Get the one from the Johnson/Evinrude dealers, not the aftermarket ones. Also, every kind of creature seems to want to nest in the water tube and it is easily blocked. Compressed air or water will usually knock them out of the cooling system.<br /><br />When you get around to the prop, the BRP parts diagram has the original OMC generic prop number on it so you can find it or an aftermarket one. Iboats sells the Michigan Wheel counterpart here, and they are good.