1996 evinrude 115 ocean pro cranking problem

vmfa333

Recruit
Helllo, I have a 1996 evinrude 115 ocean pro model # e115sxedr and I just had the starter redone.The starter cranks but my question is when I had the starter out the gear I feel under the flywheel cover rotates freely. Does something else engage to crank the engine because the starter and gear just seam to rotate.Thank You For Any help.

Walker

Captain
Re: 1996 evinrude 115 ocean pro cranking problem

You're saying that when the starter engages it spins and the flywheel spins but the motor itself doesn't turn??<br />Sounds like the nut on the flywheel wasn't torqued down and now tha woodruff key is sheared between the flywheel and the crankshaft. Pull the top cover off and remove the bolt and pull the flywheel off. Tell us what you find.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

You are speaking of the gear at the top of the grooved shaft on the Starter, correct?

vmfa333

Recruit

Yes the starter motor is spining good so is the flywheel but nothing else. Engine ran great since I bought the boat 4 yrs. ago. Will check out under the cover a get back to the board. Thank You

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I guess you had it right, Walker.<br /><br />Anyway, take the flywheel off and see if the key is broken or missing. When you put it back with a good key, torque the flywheel nut to 115 Ft. Lb.<br /><br />It is very important to torque this properly - something about a eight pound frisbee flying around the boat I guess.