what oil for my lower unit?

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was told that my lower unit is an electric shift and that it takes a different lube for lower unit. Can anyone tell me what I need?<br />My engine is the 1973 Johnson 65HP model 65ESLR73R. <br /><br />Thanks in advance.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what oil for my lower unit?

After doing some searching I don't think my engine is an electric shift because I have a throttle arm to control the speed and the shifting. Why would my local dealer tell me it's an eletric shift and he won't work on it. I gave him the motor number and year. I have the Chlymer manual that I checked out from the library but it's about useless.

llfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Might want to pick up an OMC manual. Someone will come a long and help you out.

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well dang-it... I just called another johnson dealer around me and he looked up in his book and told me that my engine is a mechanical shift and uses 85W90 oil. I deon't know what to do now. I have one johnson shop telling me it's an electric shift and I have another johnson shop telling me that it's a mechanical.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class

take a pic of lower unit part of motor & shift control in boat this should tell me what it is and link it on line

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Years ago I had a v4 Johnson with a electric lower unit. Look at your control box, does it have 2 HARD cables or 1 hard cable and a 2gang wire? Also your control box would have 3 buttons F-N-R.This is when my son was 8, he is now 31 . SOME THINGS ARE FADING NOW BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER WHAT THEY ARE.

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My shifter doesn't have any buttons on it at all. It is a regular shifter type. I will check out the boat as I am heading that way right now.<br />Thanks for the help guys and I hope to have so more info soon.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Both 73 models show mechanical on the BRP site, which would indicate that the second dealer was correct. TCW-3 High Viscosity oil and not C. web page

bman72

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok folks I took some pictures of the boat just so that I can rest easy. I went out today and changed out the LU oil with High vis. The oil was a dark blue and looked pretty good without any metal shavings in it or water. I was pretty sure that it was a mechanical shiftt since it has two cables running from the shifter. The boat ran great and shifted great so I am assuming that the lube I used was the proper stuff. <br />\Would anyone care to look at my oics and tell me that I am correct in that it is a mechanical shifter and that I did need to use high vis lube.<br /><br />Thanks<br /><br />Cables from shifter<br /><br />
cables.jpg
<br /><br />Friont of engine where cables run in and hook to linkage.<br />
frontengine.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Lower unit itself<br /><br />
Lower.jpg

javsam

Chief Petty Officer

your correct.1973 was year they went to mechanical shift.<br />javsam

gatorred

Petty Officer 1st Class