1963 40 hp johnson sea horse electrmatic

terry2626

Seaman
I live in North Georgia, and was told by my grandfather that I could have his 1963 razorback ski boat. It has a 1963 40 hp seahorse electrmatic outboard.(do not know the model number yet because I have not picked it up) My question is. The outboard, and boat has been sitting outside for at least 15-20 years.(if not longer) It was covered for a few of those years with a tarp. I was wondering if it would be worth the trouble and effort to try and get this outboard running again?

terry2626

Seaman
Re: 1963 40 hp johnson sea horse electrmatic

Sorry forgot to add that it ran like a dream when it was last used way back before my dad got a new boat and parked it in my grandfathers back yard 15-20 years ago.

Droll

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to Iboats<br /><br />Should think this FAQ should answerer most of your questions :) .

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The bigtwin motors were and still are strong motors. They are very hard to kill. Make sure that you at least replace the waterpump before you start it.<br /><br />For even more info, use the red search link at the top of the page, and type in "bigtwin", make sure that the Johnson/Evinrude forum is selected.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

I agree that you can't kill these old honeys. The water pump should at least be checked and flushed along with lower end oils and other general maintenece and a good look see.

Bill Mattor

Seaman Apprentice

I agree that you can't kill these old honeys. The water pump should at least be checked and flushed along with lower end oils and other general maintenece and a good look see.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

awakeing a sleeping motor is a must for this motor... becareful removing to cowl, no telling what has made it his residence. mud doppers like carbs, exhausts etc.

terry2626

Seaman

thanks for the info. I did not even think about what be hiding under the cowl. I might be in luck right now because it is still on the cool side here. so if there is anything there i might catch them napping.

terry2626

Seaman

I was wondering where do you find the model number and serial number and this type of outboard

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

it should be on the tramsom mounting bracket either under the front, or on the side. becareful reading it as E, 0,8,9 6's, look a like.

terry2626

Seaman

I have the model number, and was wondering if I do have the right year for this motor. the model number is RK 25D. If I am right it is a 1963 40HP johnson super sea horse electramatic. I was also wondering if anyone knew of a place where i could get some parts for thie motor. Like a water pump impeller carb parts. throttle cable. I was also wondering if a safety cuff switch can be put on this boat.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Terry, I have a 1963 Electric start 40hp sitting outside right now. But its an Evinrude. Maybe the parts are similar. Someone here would know more. Bought it from guy that just wanted it out of his yard. Had gray crud come out of the gearbox, so I know some seals somewhere were shot and leaking on the gearcase. I have not looked at anything else, but it has all the parts. I plan to tear it down and sell the parts, as I have no need for the whole motor, and people need the parts anyway. Email me at Hogrider@Myway.com if you need something when you start to go through it...maybe I can help you out. Robby

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

1963 40hp SuperSeahorse Electramatic Rocks! Okay, I'm a bit biased, I have one too.<br /><br />The powerhead is a 44ci rock-solid mill that is, as others have said, very "strong". It also loves gasoline so be forewarned. It'll drain a six-gallon tank of 40:01 mixed fuel in short order.<br />The "Electramatic" part is really cool and really a pain. It's an electric shift (Forward-Neutral-Reverse), where most outboards have mechanical shift. Electric shift is HARD to work on when things go bad. Trust me on this. They take a special lower unit oil, "Type C". You cannot use regular lower unit outboard oil. When you change the oil be sure to use the right stuff or it will not work properly and fail your "does it work" test. I hope that your lower unit DOES work when you test it. You don't want to tear into it unless you're already a nutcase like me or are willing to become one.<br />It is definately "worth the effort to try to get it going again". Follow the steps and hopefully it will run beautifully. Read up on proper maintenance. Do the "Search" thing mentioned earlier and read read read. Remember that this is an "old lady" and needs to be treated with care. Every part on her, controls and cables and wiring harness included, came out of the factory over 40 years ago. If you end up giving up on the project that's OK too. But sell or give the motor to someone who will fix it or part it out. Don't take it to the dump!!!<br />Oh, yeah, 1963 40HP Evinrude is the same motor. Different color paint and different shaped cowl is all.

terry2626

Seaman

itstippy, thanks for the info on this motor. I am wondering how hard is it to change out the impeller? water pump? Do you know where i could get these parts? I saw a impeller on here for it, and a few other parts that would not hurt to change out. Also i am looking for a throttle cable if you know where to find one. One other question that i have is what kind of fuel does it take? I mean being so old does it require leaded gas? or will it run on unleaded? I know that they dont make leaded fuel anymore. So would i have to find a leaded additive to the fuel mix?

terry2626

Seaman

thanks scaaty, i am sure i will be getting intouch with you for some parts.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Originally posted by terry2626:<br /> thanks scaaty, i am sure i will be getting intouch with you for some parts.
No problem.....

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Learn to use the SEARCH feature at the top of this page. Search for "Bigtwin" or "40hp" or something similar and start reading. Once you get familiar with SEARCH you will have a huge collection of priceless information at your fingertips for FREE!<br />Here's the kind of thing you'll find:<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=032100 <br />As you can see, priceless advice from knowledgable wrenches. Save really pertinent ones in your Favorites for future reference. <br />WARNING:<br />Don't SEARCH under "what fuel to use" or "leaded fuel" or anything like that unless you're home sick with broken ribs and can spend the next week just reading old posts. Wow do people have opinions/knowledge on fuel! I use 87 octane gas mixed 40:01 with good outboard oil. With your '63 you could go as rich as 24:01. Won't hurt anything but will smoke more. Fresh gas is the key. Six months old is too old - dump it in the lawnmower and get fresh for your outboard. Don't worry about lead substitutes. Not necessary. PLEASE do not start a post asking ANYTHING about what octane gas to use or whether "Amsoil" is a good idea.

terry2626

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. but that one question i do have what in the world is Amsoil?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

It's a range of synthetic oil's that is sold by a similar system to Amway or Avon. Often makeing claims that if you use their oil, then you can run at 100:1 and get longer life and more power from your engine.....<br /><br />Stick with whatever TCW-3 rated oil you can get locally and enjoy your boating.

itstippy

Chief Petty Officer

Here's a SEARCH tip for ya, terry2626. See how the post I linked to earlier was started by "tich", and "tich" has a '63 Big Twin? Bonus! Try a SEARCH of the Johnson/Evinrude forum using "tich" in the "Member number or public display name" field. Bingo. He's asked lots of good questions and gotten lots of good answers. Start reading!