Coils

I took off the fly wheel from my 1960 35hp Gale outboard to have a look at the coils because I didn't have any spark. I noticed that the coils looked like they were sweating. Does this mean that I have to replace them? Does anyone know what my points are supposed to be gapped at? Is there anything else I need to check before I put this motor back together? thx.

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Coils

sweating, meaning they look like liquid has leaked out of them? is this stuff black looking? I would say yes to replacing them. I don't know the life span of breaker points and condensers, you could probably clean the points, and replace the condensers, or replace both. not 100% sure about gap, I think it's .018 or .020, my brain's going into lockdown so forgive me if I'm off a bit.

Ya, they have kind of an oily black substance on both of them. I think I will replace them. Thanks for your help!

I was looking at the key for my flywheel and it's broken. It looks like it was twisted so much that it broke. If my flywheel is not aligned right would that keep me from getting spark?

byacey

Chief Petty Officer

It sure would, but I would still replace the coils if they show any signs of cracks or leakage. Once humidity gets inside they develop high voltage leakage, making no spark.

Paul Moir

Admiral

If that really is oil and it's all over everything like up inside the flywheel and such, it indicates a leaking top crankshaft seal. <br /><br />The crank seal is pretty easy to replace using OBJ's method. Post back if that's what it turns out to be.<br /><br />Since you're flywheel key sheared, it's advisable that you refit the flywheel to the crankshaft taper. Iboats member CATransplant published some excellent instructions:<br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=029310;p=1#000022

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That is a good write up Paul. Missed it first time around. Thanks.