Question about Model Number Code for a Johnson 150

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was at our local outboard shop the other day to get parts. I gave the mechanic the model number code (J150WTXERC) and he had problems finding in his catalogue. He was looking under a heading titled "recreational outboards". I told him it is a "commercial" outboard as its says so on the cowling. He said that means nothing and the code is what's important. <br /><br />My question is, is not the "C" at the end of the number code indicate that it is commercial? All the information sheet says that this last letter indicates "model run or suffix". Is any one able to elaborate?<br /><br />Thanks!

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Question about Model Number Code for a Johnson 150

The C at the end of your number is only a model run. It has nothing to do with being comercial or not.<br /><br />Here's the breakdown of your number<br /><br />J - Johnson<br />150 - 150 hp<br />WT - Commercial, Electric Start, Trim & Tilt<br />X - 25" shaft<br />E - 9<br />R - 4<br />C - model run<br /><br />Here's the link if you want to check it out yourself.<br /> http://www.brokeboats.com/omcid.html <br /><br />I don't know why your mechanic had trouble finding info on it. It's all there at the Johnson website, under parts, engine diagrams.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Exactly. Think of the "W" as "work". They didnt want to use "C" as "C" comes up in the model year formula as 8 and in some model runs (like this one). <br /><br />If that stumped the mechanic it makes one wonder what else stumps him....

Mike Robinson

Thanks. What is a model run?

lark2004

Lieutenant Junior Grade

its like a batch number.

Mike Robinson

Thanks for responding guys!