Engine submerged in salt water

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Just got a call from the marina that the boat sunk overnight and starboard stern was completely submerged, including the starboard engine, 2000 Johnson 200hp. Marina is pumping the boat out and getting someone down there to try and get it running ASAP. Gotta head out now, about 1 1/2 hour drive out to Montauk, to see what the deal is. Just wanted to get advise on what steps to take to try and save this engine. I know getting it started right away and letting it run is the first priority, but what steps should I take afterwards, or can count on this motor being dead? Just realized the oil tank is in the stern as well, I will call up and have them check the tank for any water before they attaempt to start it up. Need some help on this one guys. Thanks, Mike.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Engine submerged in salt water

Just checked the Search function here and got some info, but any additional wouldn't hurt. Thanks.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

When you get the engine pumped out, run it on pre-mix. When you get the engine started, let it run until you feel it has cleared itself out. I would disassemble the starter after every thing is done, so that it does'nt rust.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Hey R. Johnson, thanks for the reply. The mechanic at the marina got the engine started right away and ran it for a 1/2 hour and then fogged it for the trip home. Got it home and was gonna run it some more on a separate tank of 50:1 to get it good and hot. Started it up and it ran for about 5 minutes, then shut down like someone had turned the key off, didn't sound like a fuel problem, more like ignition. When I hooked up the little 6 gallon tank, mixed at 50:1, I disconnected the oil line on the OMS pump and plugged the inlet so it didn't pull any air. Is there anything else I have to do to run this engine off a small tank. Do I have to disconnect any wiring from the OMS(VRO) pump? I initially got the no oil warning after running it for a minute or so, but knew it was just from the pump not seeing any oil flow. Is there something that would prevent this engine from running due to no oil flow, like a sensor I should disconnect? I am going to continue to use the OMS after I get the oil tanks pumped, so I didn't bother disconnecting any of the wiring, could this be causing this engine not to start, should I disconect the VRO wiring at the pump? Thanks, Mike.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Running the engine on a 6gal. tank should not cause any problem, and there is'nt anything you should have to disconnect. Right now, the only thing I can think of, is condensation, or water trapped under the flywheel causing a problem. If you have one, hook up a spark checker, and see what you have.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner

If the engine went under in salt water, a teardown is manditory. that way all the salt can be washed off the internals and electricals. Getting it up and running as done in a fresh water dunking doesn't do much except bakes the salt on/in and guarantees an early demise.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Your first call should have been to your insurance company. They deal with this stuff daily nationwide. Otherwise, whats posted here is adequate. Bummer. Wish ya luck

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

My exsperience has not been with salt water engine's, but if the engine has been flushed out, and run, I don't see what a tear-down would accomplice. Beside's the tank vent, have you checked the spark? It would'nt hurt to wash the engine down with soap, and water, then spray it down with a rust inhibitor.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Checked the spark on the starboard engine, nothing on all 6. Ran the port engine no problem for about an hour on the 6 gallon tank and re-fogged. The guys at the yard rinsed the engine down and then coated it in WD-40 or some equivalent after they ran it, before I got there. The insurance company is involved now and it's at a shop, so whatever it needs it will get. Think the biggest headache will be the wiring for the boat itself, I can already see the corrosion all over everything and the cabin got soaked too. I may have gotten lucky with the engine, when I got to the yard the guy who pulled it, told me that about half the cover was under, it wasn't fully submerged, he also said it started right off with no problem and ran perfect. Guess I just have to wait and see at this point, but anyhting that it needs will be covered luckily. Thanks for the help and replies. Guess my fishing season eneded a little early this year. Thanks again, Mike.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

Problem was just a short in the harness. Water must have eventually made it's way inside it. Harness is repaired and engine runs perfect again, took it out and water tested, runs like it always did, no problems. Guess I'll get a little more fishing in this season after all. Thanks again for the help, Mike.