motor losing power when throttled up?

Jixxxer

Seaman Apprentice
Well we went out boating today, all is going well for an hour or so and then the motor lost power and the hot light came on. So I stopped the boat and let it cool. STarted it up and it seemed ok until i gave some throttle and it had no power and had a jerky type feeling. It went ok at a real slow speed, its only when i gased it that it had no power what so ever. So i coasted back to the landing and pakced it up. Any one have any ideas? Its a 1999 johnson 70.<br />Thanks!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: motor losing power when throttled up?

Might be a good idea to take a compression test Jixxxer....find out if any damage was done to the cylinders. Also check the plugs for any signs of water intrusion. May have popped a head gasket.

Jixxxer

Seaman Apprentice

Well I just got it back from the mechanic. He check compression was good, he changed the water pump and plugs and gave it a "tune up". Funny thing is its worst than it was the before I brought it to him???

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Worse, as in, "jerky when applying throttle"? Could need a good carb overhaul. Spark is good?

artburr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your experience with "service" is about like mine.

Jixxxer

Seaman Apprentice

I forgot to mention that right before this happened the HOT light came on in the boat and we were hydrosliding.

MCM

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi,<br /><br />Does your motor have the S.L.O.W. feature?<br /><br />If so you may have a bad/stuck sensor!<br /><br />Just guessing.<br /><br />Mike :)