1971 evinrude probs

Re: 1971 evinrude probs

at times it acts like its getting to much gas then theres times it acts like its not getting enough. when im kicking it over it most of the time acts like it wants to start but it dont.

Ok. I have plenty of spark at the coil pack but not that much coming from the plug wires. Any sug.?

yeah, i got it to run for about 15 minutes and it died, waited for 5 minutes and it fired back up. acts like the pump isnt pumping enough gas to the carbs or something.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

While it's running... pump the primer bulb and see if you can keep it goin....Pull the lines at the carbs and pump primer ... are you getting a good streat of gas outta line?<br /><br />To test a fuel pump... connect presure gauge in-line between carbs and fuel pump, start motor and watch gauge. My manual states they should read this... might not be up to todays standards but in 1976 this was the specs...lol<br />600 RPM 1psi<br />2500-3000rpm's 1.5 psi<br />4500 rpm's 2.5 psi<br />Of course you won't want to take it too much above idle out of water =o)<br /><br />Did you take the bulb off and if so is it on the right direction??

when i pump primer i get a lot of gas goin through it. when i start it and run it for a while and it dies, i can squeeze the primer bulb until it gets tight again, it then starts right up. fast idle only though. when i take it down to slow idle it dies, still trieng to get the idle screws set right. cant seem to get them right though. Joe Reeves told me how to set them right but it still messes up. got it to purr like a kitten once but of corse it died, had to back out the screws so that it would start. starts like this....choke and crank;fire. unchoke and crank and play with the throttle and eventually shell start. sounds like popcorn on to hot of fire but runs; although rougher than heck it runs9only at half or high idle though). I got it to start easier by closing the gap on the points a little. theyre set at about .20 - .25 now.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Joe sates to back them out 5 turns I believe, then turn inwards.... I've tried that only to find myself backing them up more to get it to run good at idle... My carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt... I wouldn't be too afraid to back them out enough to get it to start easily, you can always adjust them again in the water. Come to think of it... mine are all backed out about 8 turns if not more... <br /><br />It will rev higher on the muffs due to lack of back pressure on the exhaust... should idle on muffs at about 1000 rpm's... on the lake those will come down to about 700

I noticed that when i back them out about 4 or 5 turns it starts easier just wont idle and runs ruff.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I believe he says 4-5 turns as a starting point. Not all engines are going to be set up the same. <br />Having to back the idle screw out is only showing your carbs are pulling gas from the idle jets and no where else.<br /><br />Did you ever pull the carbs to clean them?

I know its a 1971 60 evinrude 3 cyl. that has da@* good compression, a new water pump cause i put that in, the old one was hard and brittle, the electric shift was messed up(as usual), has new plugs, and before it sat for 2 years it ran great. lol. oh, and ive been screwin around with it for 7 days now, and the points werent set right, they were to far out. when i screwed them in it started starting better.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Let me look up gap on points.....<br /><br />Point gap .010<br /><br />Don't seem like much but thats what the clymer states...

dang. well maybe that is most of my problem then, cause like i said, i did that spark test thing and noticed that my first initial reading was quite dimm and then after i adjusted the points in my spark got rather bright and was sparking a lot more and actually started most of the time just ran crappy, before it was kinda jumpy when it sparked, little dim when it did. ill try tomarow morning set the points at .010 and see what happens.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Theres quite a bit of difference there.... Let me know... Suppose to be cool up here... how bout down there... still plannin on goin out sunday???

it was supposed to rain today and tomarow but it was just the opp. bright sunny and hot. slight chance of rain sun. but i dont see it happening. If it does itll poor for 10-20 minutes and thats all we'll get. always seems to happen that way. just enough to ruin a few plans, lol. So therefor providing I get this thing running right then yeah still going, have the super jet and the wet jet ready to go but really wanted to do some tubing.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah... got my boat finally running good.. after a few of battles (about 3 months worth so I do know what your goin threw)... go figure...End of season. I think were going to go out tommorrow... suppose to be 84... and like 67 on sunday. Oh well... get it goin good this year... and hopefully it will start right up in spring for me....

thats kinda what i figured too, this winter i think im going to go through the whole thing redo what I am knowledgable enough to do(carbs, tune up, that sort of stuff). whatever i can afford, i'm in the middle of restoring a comarao at the moment too, to much stuff and not enough time.

djzyla1980

Chief Petty Officer

I hear you about the time... these motors aren't hard to fix... can just be a pain sometimes... <br /><br />I posted in another post this boat is going to be named "Always Broke" Only because it's always broke when I am...lol<br /><br />Wife has had so much fun on this thing the last few times out she now wants a jet ski...been lookin around so we'll have to see... heck if we take um both to the lake least we'd have a way back to the dock after the boat breaks...lol