tough starting and acceleration

miket

Seaman
Johnson 115hp 1998<br />When starting I must have throttle at full, run the choke excessively to start. Then when i bring back the trottle to idle it dies. So I get it running at high rpm and shift quickly to neutral and then in forward geer. Then when increasing rpm's in forward gear the engine bogs down at 1,400-2,000 rpm unless i push electric choke, once over 2,000 engine runs well. <br /><br />It almost seems like a spark issue, but using the choke would indicate fuel problem<br /><br />any ideas?

fireman57

Captain
Re: tough starting and acceleration

Sounds like it is time to rebuild your carbs. Make sure that each passage is cleaned either with very fine wire or compressed air or both. If it has been a while since they were done make sure that you soak them overnight in a good carb cleaner. Do a search for Gentleman Joe Reeves thread on setting your carbs. Other searches will reveal some tips on rebuilding your carbs. Don't be scared to try but save some shop labor costs by getting a good OEM manual. Post back if any questions and a party that knows more than I will reply.

steamboatwilly

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: tough starting and acceleration

Im not that party.I agree with What fireman57 said.But Id like to add,mine was doing same thing.The problem with it was the low-speed jets were stopped-up.