TIlt & Trim not working properly

Hi, While I was tilting up the motor it stop moving upward and the tilt motor made a high pitch whining noise. I waiting about a minute and tried it again and it did the same thing. The person who sold me the boat thinks that there might be air in the line. Should I replace the tilt fluid and if so should I drain it with the motor in the down position or completely tilted up? Please Help Thanks Frank

hooksetter62

Seaman Apprentice
Re: TIlt & Trim not working properly

tilted up position,if its down you may get a bath. is that a single piston and pump assy? good luck,mine went out about 3 yrs ago and everything i did didnt help, had to repace with a new pump and motor assy. ouch, $750.00 for a factory set up. let us know if that helped. i have a rebuilt pump and cyl assy now after replacing it with a new one. mine was on a mariner 40 hp magnum. if you need a trim assy and dont want to buy a new expensive one let me know,maybe mine will work for you. we can ****er on the price,i have seen rebuilts for anywhere from $400.00-$525.00.i hope the fluid will help your problem. good luck.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

It would help if you listed exactly what engine and type of PTT you have.

Sorry I left that information out of the description.It is a 1976 115 hp johnson seahorse outboard. Hope this will help in figuring out this problem. Thanks Frank

Quirky_Guy

Recruit

Originally posted by URBANHILLBILLIE:<br /> Sorry I left that information out of the description.It is a 1976 115 hp johnson seahorse outboard. Hope this will help in figuring out this problem. Thanks Frank

Quirky_Guy

Recruit

I have just experienced a similar problem.<br />Tilt will not go up and high pitch whiring. I thought I may have blown a seal and or air in line.<br />Can you advise if the oil fixed the problem and what brand oil did you use.<br />I have a 73 65Hp Johnson Sea horse. :confused:

mikeyzx2

Chief Petty Officer

Hey hillbillie, Quirky: if motor runs but motor doesn't raise, the book says:<br />1. check oil level<br />2. check manual release valve--slotted screw at bottom, located on the pump NOT the reservoir<br />3. check for missing release rod on reverse lock<br />4. loose ground wire<br /><br />I would check the fluid, and make sure the manual release valve is tight. <br /><br />my book covers 1977 85/115hp, but the TNT units are the same design

Quirky_Guy

Recruit

Thanks Mikeyzx2. Bought Dexron III Auto transmission oil raised motor and filled from top screw. Now works like a new one.<br />My manual does not have any info re Tilt/trim so thanks again