Ignition switch wiring, 97 Evinrude

bilehuwh

Recruit
old switch is cooked & I can't read the wiring codes on the back, new OEM ignition switch Part #5005801 does not have a wiring diagram, switch has 6 "plug-in" type terminals labeled C, S, A, M, B & M<br />What color wire goes where? :confused:

Tom Scully

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Ignition switch wiring, 97 Evinrude

As far as the exact colors I am not certain but;<br />the "B" is from the battery, red or orange with a stripe.<br />"A" is for accessories while the key is on, purple or violet.<br />the M's are for the engine kill circuit, typically one goes to ground and the other is a black/yellow to the engine.<br />"S" is for the starter and goes to the solenoid.<br />"C" is for the choke.<br />Sorry I can't help you with the exact colors, my book does not cover that year.

bilehuwh

Recruit

thanks Tom - what I have so far is purple with white stripe goes to C, yellow with red stripe goes to S, purple goes to A, red with purple stripe goes to B , what is left is a black with yellow stripe and a black, these go to the 2 M's but I do not know which goes where. The terminals are arranged: C in the center, and beginning at 7 o'clock and going clockwise A, M, B, M, S.<br /><br />Still need to know which M terminals the last 2 wires go to.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Don't make any difference. The black wire goes to one "M" terminal and the Black w/yellow stripe goes to the other "M" terminal. The black/yellow stripe is the kill wire from the engines power pack. When the key is in the off postion, the switch puts the B/Y wire to ground, the black wire.

bilehuwh

Recruit

thanks OBJ - yep got to get a manual, trying to fix this boat for a girl friend, both of these ladies are trouble

bilehuwh

Recruit

OBJ - thanks again - got the switch installed today and the motor runs great, now if I can just the growth cleaned off the hull it may have some speed