Solid State Mod. for old outboards

Steven5470

Recruit
I have a 1958 Johnson 10 hp Outboard motor.<br />When I got this motor I was tuneing it up and when i was going to check the points, I found out the points have been remover and replace with Solid State Mod. The motor runs perrty good with the Solid State Mod. I work on old motors like this once in awhile, and so do some of my firends, none of us have ever seen these Mod's befor and we would like to know who makes them. We would find them very handy for working on old motors that can be hard to get parts for.<br />Has anyone elas ever seen these Solid State Mod. on old motors ?<br />Does anyone know who sells the Mod's ? Cost ? <br />the only Numbers I can find on them are<br />PAT. NO. 5.058.548<br />0050<br />Thanks for any Infor you can help me with on these

CATransplant

Admiral
Re: Solid State Mod. for old outboards

Well, I did a little more research on this. This kit, available through the Sierra Marine catalog, replaces only the points in one or two cylinder magneto ignition outboards. The same kit appears to fit just about everything.<br /><br />An interesting idea, but, since it only replaces the points, I don't see the point of it on an engine where points are still available. I can see that they'd be very useful if points were not available, and they might be a solution for some of the older Johnnyrudes that Sierra doesn't make points for.<br /><br />Since it doesn't replace the coils, the weakest point in the magneto system, I'd just put new points in the outboard, if needed. They're a lot cheaper and seem to be relatively trouble-free.<br /><br />Further, if one of these modules goes bad, it might take you a few days to get a replacement, while you can get a set of Johnnyrude points at any dealer, since they were used for so many years in so many outboards.<br /><br />I'd skip this, unless you have a wierd outboard that needs a set of unavailable points. Then this system might just save the day.

Steven5470

Recruit

Thank you for the infor<br /><br />I'll not sure way someone took the points out a installed this Ignition kit, when I seen this I wanted to find out more about it, The one think I do see that I like about this idea is you never have to set the points and they will always be set right, of corse once you get a set of points right you should not need to ajust them again for a long time, a good set will last for a loug time.<br /><br />I looked at the idea of putting points back into this motor but it does seem to run good with this kit, I have not try it on the lake yet but I think it is going to run ok, and a lot of the small parts to mount the points are missing.<br /><br />Thanks for the infor. Steve

CATransplant

Admiral

Since this little 10hp already has had the points replaced with the solid state units, I would just leave them in there, for sure.<br /><br />I just can see any real reason to replace points with these if the points are available. Once they're set, they should last a good long time. Unlike cars, outboards just don't get that many hours of running in a year, so a set of new points should last for many years.<br /><br />Still, if someone else has already replaced the points, I can't see any reason to go back to them, unless the replacements fail. And you're right, you'd probably need a parts motor to supply all the other parts that have now been tossed.<br /><br />Let us know how your Johnson goes on the water.

monoshock

Petty Officer 1st Class

I installed the Sierria kit on my 1974 25HP Johnson 5-6 years ago, haven’t had any problems. It’s a very simple install, but don’t use the dumb wire nuts supplied with the kit, it is much better to solider the wires and cover them with heat shrink tubing. The motor does seems to start better than when it had ignition points. :)

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

they are in NAPA autoparts book.they can look it up by the #LISTED