My Johnson 225 will not Idle

Snookkrook

Cadet
I have a 1993 Johnson 225 I reciently purchased. I took off my Evinrude 130 which ran great. After mounting the egine I discovered that I could not shut the engine off with the key switch, but the engine runs strong, all cylinders checked. I found that the wiring harness was missing a prong. So, in meantime I replaced the gas tank in my boat from 26g to 82g. I purchased a new wiring harness and rewired it in the engine, now the new problem. Engine will not idle, I have tried running gas line from a one gallon portable tank, tank in the boat, with the primer bulb, without, with clear tubing. Here is the funny thing, the engine will idle fine if no gas line is attached(I have new line and primer bulb), until it runs out of gas anyway, air leak or fuel pump? :confused:

Goodoleboy

Chief Petty Officer
Re: My Johnson 225 will not Idle

Could be float settings are at fault. Needle and seats not closeing. Or an air leak some place in fuel lines.<br /><br />With engine off, squeise bulb does it get hard. If not you could have leaking needle and seat in one or mor carbs.<br /><br />Or you could also have bad check valve in primer bulb.<br /><br />You need an OEM service manual real bad.<br /><br />Good Luck!

Snookkrook

Cadet
Re: My Johnson 225 will not Idle

I have a clymers. Primer bulb brand new, new gas lines. Primer bulb does get hard with engine off. This engine ran fine before I changed the harness and the gas tank. I will move on to carbs.