Value of Owners Manual

cyberodie

Cadet
Hello Everyone,<br /><br />I just purchased a 1966 33 HP Johnson motor. From reading other posts, it appears that the original service manual for the motor from Ken Cook's would be the most helpful. (I am going to need to rebuild the carburetor). Is there any value in getting the owners manual or parts catalog? If so, what are the advantages?<br /><br />Thank you in advance.

cyberodie

Cadet
Re: Value of Owners Manual

Thanks for the info and link.<br /><br />So, hypothetically, if there was a 1968 33 hp Johson service manual on ebay, it should match up with my 66?

Paul Moir

Admiral

I'm not 100% absolute certain, but I'm pretty sure there's absolutely no technical changes in the 33hp between '65-'71. Naturally, an Evinrude manual will do as well. These are the search terms I use to find manuals on ebay:<br />(johnson, evinrude) (33, 33hp) manual<br />It seems to find them all. ;) <br /><br />I see a couple '67s cheap. They would be preferable as if there was any changes from the previous year, they list them.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks Paul,<br />I didn't know that site existed.<br />Sometimes the parts diagram helps to explain.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Don't get confused between an owner's manual and a shop manual. An owners manual dosen't tell you how to fix stuff.

cyberodie

Cadet

Thanks everyone for the info! I got the 67 evinrude manual off ebay. <br /><br />One quick other question.<br /><br />The 67 33 hp Johsnon has a lever below the cowling that has positions for Fast/Start/Slow. How is that used?<br /><br />Thanks again.

bednick

Seaman Apprentice

Got a Seloc manual for my 5 hp Johnson and found it minimally helpful. Paid about $80 for Ken Cook Service Manual and Owner's Manual. Much better. HOWEVER, nowhere in these books does it say what position the shift lever should be in for reverse or forward. I assume neutral is in middle, and I know I can find the others by rotating engine and observing prop, but wouldn't u think that at least the Owner's Manual would specify these positions?