fuel comsumption

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i asked this in anothertopic so how much fuel should i use in my 50hp seahorse we went out today and used quite alot 45 litres

vranasaurus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: fuel comsumption

I think the general rule is 10% of the horsepower in gallons per hour.<br /><br />How long did you run it for?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

Doesn't the 10% rule only apply at WOT? Better fuel economy at lower throttle settings? :confused:

CATransplant

Admiral

You keep starting new threads here to ask questions about your outboard. That makes it very difficult for us to answer.<br /><br />Yours is a 1981 50hp. Before we can comment on whether your 45 liters is excessive, we'd need to know several things:<br /><br />1. What kind of boat is it on?<br />2. How did you operate the engine when you went out? Full throttle? Cruising? Running slow?<br />3. How long were you running the motor during your outing?<br /><br />You see, if you supply the necessary information, we can help. If not, then we have to ask.<br /><br />If you think about it, I could ask if I'm getting good fuel mileage on my Chevrolet. I went out today and used 5 gallons of fuel.<br /><br />You can't answer my question because there simply is not enough information. What model Chevrolet? How far did I drive? Was it city driving or on the highway?<br /><br />If you think about your question before asking it, you'll provide the information needed to get an answer.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

What does she go like with the 50 instead of the 30 johnny?

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hi Johnny,<br /><br />Guess you were running for two to three hours, right? Probably on and off WOT, plus a lot of pottering? Maybe against tide and current for a while?<br /><br />If that's the rough picture - and it's only a guess because, as CA said, there ain't enough info to calculate from - then ten gallons is not unusual.<br /><br />If you were only out at half throttle for twenty minutes, then you've got a consumption problem.

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hello nos4r2 it was much betterafter a few teething problems it was different but we did seem to use a lot more fuel but who cares for having the price of fun

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Cool! I bet you could tube nicely behind her now.

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

helo stillfishing sorry for the lack of info but i was abit tired and missed a few bits out but from your reply it sounds about right to put along story short the hours u said were right and we had four people aboard all 9 stone and up so thanks for the info

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

helo stillfishing sorry for the lack of info but i was abit tired and missed a few bits out but from your reply it sounds about right to put along story short the hours u said were right and we had four people aboard all 9 stone and up so thanks for the info