Please help identify this piece...

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice
While looking closer at my 40 hp Evinrude I found a small steel piece laying in the bottom of the engine housing...it looks to me like it may be carburator linkage??? Can anyone identify this piece. Just follow this link to a photo>>>>> :eek: <br /><br /> photo web page (click here)

K Hultgre

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Please help identify this piece...

my guess: Stator plate linkage.<br />reason: looks like it has been rubbing against something. most possibly the flywheel

jameswilson95

Seaman Apprentice

1969 model 40952r...I looked in the rewind starter group (ishopmarine.com)at the "Rod, cam follower to locking lever (item 24)...I wonder if the piece might have worn/broken off of it. I dont know what it does.

Paul Moir

Admiral

That is for certain the lockout lever link. Where it's broken apart is right where it runs near the flywheel. If it ever got bent, it would have been sheared off like it is.<br /><br />This link connects the cam follower roller to a little lever just to the right of where the rope goes in on the pull-start. It's purpose is to prevent you from pulling the starter rope if the throttle is advanced much past "Start".<br /><br />So, unless that's a problem for you, you don't really need it.