"new" boat - need to get 40 hp Evinrude started after 6+ years

march

Cadet
Glad I found this forum!<br /><br />My father in law just gave me an old boat/motor/trailer which has been<br />sitting for 5 or 6 years. I think it's a 1970 Starcraft with a 1970 Evinrude<br />Lark 40 hp. Can anyone confirm the year/specifics about the motor?<br /><br />Model #40372B<br /><br />Apparently the motor was winterized when it was put away<br />and everything looks fairly clean. I know next to nothing about<br />outboards, so I need some advice.<br /><br />What should I do to the motor before I try to start it up next<br />weekend. I'm charging the battery. Should I change plugs or gear oil?<br />Anything I should lube before cranking it? Feels like compression is<br />good when I pull the rope.<br /><br />How hard is it to clean the carb on this motor? Does anyone know of an online resource with step by step instructions? How about the impeller?<br /><br />Also, any tips on this particular motor?<br /><br />Thanks very much in advance.<br />Marc.

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: "new" boat - need to get 40 hp Evinrude started after 6+ years

Model 40372 is a 1963 Evinrude 40hp. Fuel oil mix was 24:1 87 octane gas to TC-W3 outboard oil (check out the oil mix FAQ in the Engine FAQ forum). Plugs should be Champion J4C (replacing the old J4J) gapped at .030". Is your engine electric shift?<br /><br />If it's been a while, I like to put a teaspoon or so of TC-W3 outboard oil into each cylinder via the spark plug hole and turn the engine a few times with the spark plugs out feeling for binding or rough spots.<br /><br />Cleaning the carb is a pretty simple task on that outboard, but you'll want a service manual in hand to make adjustments, etc. If you don't want to buy one right away, you might borrow one from the local library. It will be helpful for replacing the impeller also.<br /><br />The impeller is shot. If it's been sitting around for five or six years in the same spot, it will have taken on a set. You really want to replace it every couple seasons anyway whether you use it or not, especially if the engine is used in salt water.<br /><br />I hope this helps, and welcome to Iboats!

march

Cadet

Wow, 1963 is even older than I thought it was. Would it be a mistake to try to get it started without changing the impeller? If the rest of the motor might be shot I don't feel like investing any $$$ until I at least know it starts. How quick can the motor be damaged if it's run with a bad impeller?

Paul Moir

Admiral

It'll take a couple minutes with the engine idleing for the engine to overheat. Operate it in water up over the joint between the lower unit (part with the propeller) and the midsection. A few seconds after it starts, you should see water spritzing along with exhaust from the large hole in the back of the midsection. little closer to the top than the bottom. This indicates the engine is getting cooling water. After it's warmed up a bit, you should get more water out as the thermostat opens.<br />Just keep your eye on it. You shouldn't be seeing steam (though it's hard to tell with the exhaust!), and the engine shouldn't ever get so hot you can't touch it for a second, but it is supposed to get pretty hot. If in doubt, shut it down.<br /><br />Worst case scenario is that the impeller flies apart and bits of it clog up the cooling system. But I think that's really unlikely at the sort of speeds you'll be testing at.<br /><br />Which reminds me, never ever rev these engines up in neutral. It is not good at all for them, and it can lead to a condition known as 'run-away'. You don't want to see it. ;) <br /><br />Tell us how you make out and we can go from there!

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Paul's advice is sound, Marc.<br /><br />The only thing I would really emphasise is this:<br />Don't even THINK about starting your motor until you've put in a new impeller. The temptation is there of course, and once it fires up the temptation to see it warm up and run will remain.<br /><br /> Those first few seconds and minutes can do a lot of time-consuming damage. Fit a new impeller first, and save the time for boating. You'll be glad you did.

CATransplant

Admiral

I second both previous comments. This outboard will probably run just fine once you get it going. They're very sturdy.<br /><br />But, do the impeller change before going further. It's important.<br /><br />The part you need is Sierra Marine 18-3083, available at NAPA auto parts dealers or online, including here at iboats.com.<br /><br />You should have a service manual for this job, but, I've written up a step-by-step guide to changin impellers in this engine. You can read it in the following thread at:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=032100

march

Cadet

Thanks so much for the advice guys. I will check for the part at NAPA to see if they carry it up here in Canada.<br /><br />Is this a motor I can run on "muffs" or do I need to have the motor submerged in water? If so, can I tilt it down in a garbage can full of water for my first test start?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Marc.

Paul Moir

Admiral

None of my UAP/NAPAs do. I think Carquest does though.<br /><br />Check out marinemanifold.com, or your local marina/outboard parts dealers.<br /><br />The "muffs" that fit that go over the water inlet behind the prop. Unfortunately, noone has made them in a long time. I find it easiest just to operate them in a barrel of water up over the lower unit joint. The side benifts are you can put it in gear and it's less noisy.

CATransplant

Admiral

I occasionally see the "taco" water adapter on eBay, but not too often. It looks like a pain in the tuches to set up, anyhow, so the barrel or garbage can seems the best bet, especially if the outboard is on a boat's transom.<br /><br />Just a note: If you have a piece of garden hose about 8' long, it's pretty easy to coil it down into the garbage can until both ends of the hose are underwater and the air stops bubbling out. Then, with your thumb over one end, pull that end out and down to the ground. The siphon action will empty the water PDQ. Of course, you'll have fuel and oil on your hand, but that comes with the territory.

Darryl34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The guys are right re:impeller,but before I would go out and buy anything,I would drop about 50ml of oil down each cylinder,(leave plugs out)let it sit for 5-10 minutes,and then turn over by hand 4-5 good revolutions,or more.If all seems well,meaning cranks over smoothly(put plugs back in),I would then check that it shifts properly,fwd. and rev.Then have a look at the oil in the gear case,metal shavings,any sign of rust or water.If all ckecks out,I would then spend $ on getting a new impeller,gear oil,mabe plugs,should have a manual too,if its a keeper.Good luck to you.

march

Cadet

Fantastic advice. Thanks, especially for the write ups about the impeller replacement. One final question on this, are the instructions different if the motor has an electric shift (mine does)?<br /><br />Also, any particular maintenence I should do to the gears other than replacing the lube?<br /><br />Thanks again,<br />Marc.

Darryl34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

should be the same.Use a good quality marine oil for the lower end.Have a look at the old oil when draining.

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Since you have the electric shift, make sure you put only OMC/Bombardier "Premium Blend" oil in the lower unit. I didn't see that mentioned, and the Selectric shifts must use it.

spmp

Recruit

Originally posted by CATransplant:<br /> I second both previous comments. This outboard will probably run just fine once you get it going. They're very sturdy.<br /><br />But, do the impeller change before going further. It's important.<br /><br />The part you need is Sierra Marine 18-3083, available at NAPA auto parts dealers or online, including here at iboats.com.<br /><br />You should have a service manual for this job, but, I've written up a step-by-step guide to changin impellers in this engine. You can read it in the following thread at:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=032100

spmp

Recruit

Just bought a boat with a '63 Evinrude 40 hp and looked up this forum looks great. But this link didnt work any help would be appreciated, as I need to replace my impeller also and the manual is on order and more informatin that I have is better for me.
Originally posted by CATransplant:<br /> I second both previous comments. This outboard will probably run just fine once you get it going. They're very sturdy.<br /><br />But, do the impeller change before going further. It's important.<br /><br />The part you need is Sierra Marine 18-3083, available at NAPA auto parts dealers or online, including here at iboats.com.<br /><br />You should have a service manual for this job, but, I've written up a step-by-step guide to changin impellers in this engine. You can read it in the following thread at:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=032100

march

Cadet

saxis said:
Since you have the electric shift, make sure you put only OMC/Bombardier "Premium Blend" oil in the lower unit. I didn't see that mentioned, and the Selectric shifts must use it.

Is this the only name this oil is sold under? Is this definitely the gear oil I should be using with the electric shift? thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re:

Re:

there is a special oil for electirc shift..whether that's the right one , i have to research. just start a new post "Electric Shift Oil" you'll get the right one for sure.