cavitation plate setting?

martinphantom

Seaman Apprentice
I've got a starcraft 14' 11" aluminum bass boat style with a 25 hp johnson tiller. Currently my cavitation plate is a couple of inches below the boat and sprays water everywhere. Whats the best starting point to set it? I'm going to build a jack plate and raise the motor without going behind the transom. I'm thinking about 3/4" up above the bottom of the boat but would like to raise it as high as possible as I run the river quite a bit and seem to hit bottom a lot. Thanks.

david18

Seaman Apprentice
Re: cavitation plate setting?

I wouldn't go more than 3/4" above the bottom of the boat. If you are hitting bottom, find deeper water :D

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

I'm with david18 on this one; remember the old saying.......<br /><br />"If in doubt, keep well out!"<br /><br />if you're using a tiller keep looking over the side or get a fish finder; it'll save you buying new prop, lower housing even a new gearbox!

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Can't see that a fishfinder will help much if you're running fast in shallows. By the time it registers, you're either long gone or busted.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Your final height or X dimension will depend on the prop you have, its condition and how that prop works with the hull design. At any rate you should never be lower than even. 3/4" up is not unreasonable - again, depending on your prop. You may find you can go up further.

martinphantom

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a fish finder-just go where I shouldn't-and the river fluctuates a lot. One day you don't hit-the next you do. Thanks for the info.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

sorry Stillfishing, I should have made it a bit clearer in my post: if I'm close inshore or in shallows I slow right down rather than hear that very expensive crunch from below...<br /><br />yeah martinphantom water can be like that: one minute it's there next it's gone! We've got a few bays like that; it just looks like water but it's only sand with a few inches of the wet stuff on top :-(