Starter is reversing; No power in accessories

knownothing

Cadet
The pinion starter is going in the reverse direction and not engaging the flywheel. None of the accessories (radio, depth finder, bilge pump, navigational lights, etc.) work, however the red lights turn (the rpm gauge moves also) on and beep when I start the engine. The power trim on the motor works and it goes up and down. The battery is fully charged and the cables are on the correct terminals. Any suggestions?<br /><br />I have a 1999 Johnson 90 HP engine

knownothing

Cadet
Re: Starter is reversing; No power in accessories

Which direction is the starter supposed to go (clockwise or counterclockwise)?

Walker

Captain

Did you do any maintenance or battery change before this started.

quilter

Seaman Apprentice

are you sure you haven't reversed the charge on your battery? if it was completely discharged and you happened to reverse the terminals on your charger it is charged in reverse. if it is be careful with it since it can explode if you try to recharge it in the right direction. put a small light bulb 12 volt or a old bilge pump on it until it is discharged.

knownothing

Cadet

Quilter,<br /><br />Would that make the accessories not work or are they two separate problems?

CATransplant

Admiral

The first thing I'd check is the battery cables. Did you put them on the right terminals? Check again. Betcha you swapped terminals.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

The flywheel turns clockwise so the starter turns counter-clockwise.<br /><br />By any chance did you charge the battery backwards??

buddyholly

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the only accessories that will work are most likely your lights. they are not polarized but your depth finder and radio are. the reason i know i reversed the cables on mine and burnt the radio up.

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

If the battery got charged backwards, or if the cables got connected backwards, wouldn't this have also instantly fried his rectifier?

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Farginhole..... Yep.<br /><br />Knownothing.... Check the polarity with a voltmeter.

knownothing

Cadet

Joe,<br /><br />Bought a new battery, engine works. But I still have no power to the accessories.

quilter

Seaman Apprentice

check the fuse from the battery to excessories. probably blowed when you reversed polarity.

Blueclaw

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Was there a cable you forgot to re-connect(ground) when charged or changed the battery?

farginicehole

Chief Petty Officer

Is your tach working now? Might want to check your voltage when engine is running (not sure, but maybe 2000 rpm or so?) to make sure your charge system is working too.