Stalling Motor

swinslow

Cadet
1979 Johnson 75hp Stinger<br /><br />This boat/motor were given to me. Took it out the first time and ran a can of Seafoam through the tank and changed the plugs, as the boat had sat for awhile. Ran like a charm (except for the extra smoke from the Seafoam). Took it out today and motor started fine, but when I would put it into gear, it would stall. Would start again, after choking, and would idle at a faster idle, but would stall after putting into gear everytime. Acted as if it was not getting fuel.<br /><br />Is this a carb problem? What needs to be done to rectify this problem?<br /><br />Thanks in advance

swinslow

Cadet
Re: Stalling Motor

FYI,<br /><br />Motor ran fine in the driveway with muffs on. Is this possible carb problem to run fine with no resistance on prop and then poorly while in the water with resistance?

bathew

Recruit

I am suffering the exact same problem right now,(1977 70hp Evinrude). Runs Great I the drive way, but dies in the water. Everyone I've talked to has said it sounds like I need a carb cleaning. I've ordered 3 carb kits including new floats and a Seloc manual. As soon as UPS gets here I'm gonna dig into 'em. I'll post results.

swinslow

Cadet

bathew:<br /><br />let me know how it turns out. I will be doing the same this week or weekend

migue

Seaman Apprentice

Are you guys sure the rpms at idle are at spec in the water? the specs on my motor are 800rpm in the water but in the muffs are close to 1200rpm.

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice

Use a barrel instead of the muffs, it will provide backpressure on the exhaust. Not quite the same as open water, but far more realistic than muffs. Muffs are only for flushing, not for setting idle or carb adjustment.

1*jaybird

Cadet

I have the same problem also. everything seems up to par, did find the fuel hose clamps not tight. there were four of them , got a turn on the bolt on all of them. at connector at housing, each side of fuel pump, and where it attaches to engine or manifold (?). just found tonight, so didnt test yet. would this maybe sove the problem. carbs are clean, vent open, plugs not wet, great spark and compression, hoses not collapsing, bulb functioning proper, idles good, any one have any experience with the clamps that maybe they were allowing air or improper fuel flow. seems wet under the carbs after I took the silencer off. thanks.

Captain Jeff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey guys, I have a similar problem also and so do a few other people. See http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=28;t=033266#000000 <br />for some similar info. <br /><br />Jaybird- What motor do you have? Sometimes fuel/oil wetness around the gasket between the bowl and main carb body and under the bowl is caused by the main gasket. After a few years it doesn't really have a good seal in the back. Doesn't cause a huge problem unless you're losing lots of fuel which can obviously be dangerous. Gaskets would need to be replaced.

1*jaybird

Cadet

I will look at those gaskets. seems to be coming out the front of carb, though. timing was a bit off and I found that a very quick choke is all that is needed to get it going. I was choking it a bit too much and thus the gas. I have a 1977 model number 75743s3. thanks.