Lower Unit Problem?? (72 johnson 100hp) UPDATE: no reverse, help!

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So I have this '72 Johnson 100hp motor that I've been fixing and testing and fixing and testing. I think I have the final parts in and done, the upper (green wire) shift solenoid, new impeller and new prop. I followed the Seloc manual to the letter, re-installed the lower unit, hooked up the water, and started it. Fired up right away and ran excellent. While I was still up front I made sure it shifted into forward and reverse, like a charm. I then went to the back to make sure the motor was still nice and cool, it was! I was pretty happy until I looked down at the lower unit. Right at the joint when it meets the midsection, on either side, same place (right by the rubber exhaust gasket on the inside), I had water spraying out. <br /><br />All the regular drain holes had water coming out, the water mist out of the exhaust was perfect, stronger than before and everything seemed to be okay but I never had water coming out from that joint before. Did I miss something?!?! Is it something I should be worried about? Is that cavity supposed to be filling up with water? I was going to take it out today and test reverse on the water but I'm kind of second guessing doing so. If someone can offer some guidance on this that would be great. Thanks in advance!

D

DJ

Re: Lower Unit Problem?? (72 johnson 100hp) UPDATE: no reverse, help!

Right at the joint when it meets the midsection, on either side, same place (right by the rubber exhaust gasket on the inside), I had water spraying out. <br />
Some "leakage" there is OK. That is NOT a gasketed joint, as you know.<br /><br />You might want to recheck the "torque on those bolts.

SuzukiChopper

Alright. I did take it out, what a difference the new "non hub slipping" prop makes. Picked up 10mph and was able to trim the boat properly.<br /><br />I still have a reverse issue though. It will go into reverse, the prop will spin, the boat will move a vey little bit, but it still sounds like it's grinding and not fully engaging. I replaced the upper solenoid (high ohm reading on the old one), adjusted the shift arm properly, but still no go. I have checked the voltage and it's good, switch is good. What else could be giving me this much grief? It's a hydroelectric shift.

fireman57

Captain

Not trying to be a smartaleck but I'm assuming that you put the proper LU lube in. As you know the hydroelecshift uses a special lube.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

The hydraulic piston that push's the shift dog back into neutral, and reverse has an o-ring around it, that fits inside the pump housing. Did you repace that )-ring? What shift arm did you adjust? You lost me with that one.

SuzukiChopper

Yes I have the proper lube in, have replaced it twice, once before I replaced the solenoid (a month before) and then after I replaced it.<br /><br />I never tore the lower unit down far enough to replace that o-ring, neutral engages fine, reverse doesn't. The shift arm I adjusted was the shift arm that goes through the upper solenoid and the lower solenoid/shift arm. Adjusted it to be flush with the top of the solenoid like the manual says. I just went and checked the voltage again and get 11.7v on one wire in neutral, and 10.6 on both in reverse. I had the wires from the control box hooked up to the solenoids though (was in a bit of a hurry, thought I replaced the wrong solenoid so I was just double checking). I'm going to check the voltage AGAIN tomorrow, with the wires disconnected, and see what happens... may just be the switch.

SuzukiChopper

Alright, so I disconnected the wires to the shift solenoids. checked the resistance readings AGAIN, all good. and checked the voltage from the switch with the wires disconnected, it's perfect.<br /><br />Neutral and forward both work excellent, reverse still does not!! When I put it into reverse it grinds, however the prop does spin, just slowly and doesn't do much for reversing the boat. Am I looking at repairing something else in the lower unit? Or am I missing something simple?