Photo of Steering Setup for Older OB's

Grain Boat

Seaman
I thought since there seemed to be some interest regarding aftermarket options of steering kits for older outboards (especially to replace cable & pulley systems), I thought I would post a shot of the installation I did. As you can see, I mounted the transom plate directly over the existing plate. If you like the way your engine is sitting, draw some reference marks on the back of the transom to remember the motor's position. Loosen the motor clamps, slide the plate up and secure the plate. There are 4 screw holes to anchor the plate once you've adjusted everything to your liking. Two of the screws are under the steering tube which necessitates removing the tube one last time before securing everything. You may have to drill some pilot holes through the old transom plate but make sure they are not too small as the screw will bind in the aluminum and break. Be careful to not go completely through the transom. The T & R Marine kit comes with a link arm and a clevis but I chose to use a Teleflex clevis since it is stainless and it looks and fits better. The steering tube is threaded on one end and is reversable to accommodate cable coming from port or starboard. A lock nut and jam nut are provided to adjust and secure tube. Run the cable end through the tube and thread it on tightly. There should be no movement of the cable housing at this point. There is some binding of the link arm when the engine is locked in the upright position but the link arm flexes and it shouldn't be a cause of great concern. This setup combined with the Teleflex rack NFB helm and cable is a vast improvement over my old cable & pulley system. The motor doesn't jump around at idle or WOT and the steering is much more accurate and effortless. I eliminated a lot of rattles in the process too. I hate rattles.
steering.jpg

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: Photo of Steering Setup for Older OB's

Yeah, that's a really nice way to do it! :) <br /><br />On the T&R parts, I take it the steering tube is steel? The bracket part looks like cast aluminium - is that correct? And if you don't mind me asking, how much roughly is the T&R setup?<br /><br />Thanks!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

That is a nice job! Looks like no interferance when tilting motor up, very clean looking....nice! I notice the steering cable is coming from the starboard side....don't see many like that.

Grain Boat

Seaman

Paul,<br /><br /> The steering tube itself is brass or a brass alloy and the plate is aluminum or some type of aluminum or zinc alloy. Sorry I don't know more about that but the casting and tube are top-notch to my eye. The link arm is definitely steel and may be stainless but it doesn't have that chrome polish to it. It is somewhat magnetic too. Total cost through my local Marine Store with the good-guy discount is $290.00 . Expect to pay about a hundred more for full retail. It breaks down like this: T & R kit $115.00, Teleflex Rack NFB steering and cable $210 (these are retail prices), Teleflex clevis $39.00 (ouch!), Detmar 3-spoke steering wheel $18.00 . I had to replace my classic old Lone Star steering wheel with a cheezy plastic one 'cause the steering shaft wasn't 3/4" tapered. I hate when that happens.<br /><br />OBJ,<br /><br /> Funny thing about the cable. It IS recommended to run around the starboard side to counter prop torque and keep cable length to a minimum. We're talking about 40HP or less engines here though and it really doesn't seem to make any noticeable difference. In my case I actually measured for a starboard cable and it ended up being too long and had too tight a radius coming out of the helm. When I flipped it around it was a perfect fit with a nice relaxed radius. Got lucky there I guess. My boat is a 14 footer and the cable is 15 feet.<br /><br />Thanks for the good words guys. Happy to be of some help!

Grain Boat

Seaman

Testing...<br /><br />Done on a closed course with professional driver. Do not try this in your living room.<br /><br />
malibu1.jpg

Paul Moir

Admiral

Thanks! So the T&R "raw materials" are good except for the link arm - that's really what I wanted to know. Pretty good price for the setup too IMO. Try pricing up the crummy teleflex transom mount in stainless...<br />Thanks for the warning about the Teleflex steering too - they can pry my 3/4" taper steering wheel out of my cold dead hands!

Jim Robbins

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hello Grain Boat, your high speed turn looks Incredible! I'm just starting on a 1963 Lone Star El Dorado(it was gutted befor I found it). I have the stering box and the part that the stering wheel mounts to looks like a castle top, but no stering wheel. I seen your mesage and I wanted to ask about your Lone Star stering wheel, would you sell? Send photos if intrested. I would like to put wire cables back on my boat. Thank-you for your time and considerations! jrobbins@box25.com