Evinrude 25hp twist-grip and tiller arm problem.

hshs1965

Recruit
I purchased a used 1996 Evinrude(model E25TEEDA) motor and the first time out the twist-grip separated from the throttle plate on the tiller arm. I have not been able to get the throttle to open up. I cannot find a manual that describes how to repair it. I removed the twist-grip (not the throttle plate)and replaced it but still cannot get the throttle to open up. Some black plastic flanges on the throttle plate had broken off. I purchased a new throttle plate but the repair shop did not have a manual nor could they provide instructions on how to install the new plate. I checked iboats' site for one, too, but don't see what I need. I went to the library and found several manuals but none address this at all. One did discuss the fine tune adjustment at the end of the throttle so I'm at my wits end in trying to get the info to fix this myself. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Evinrude 25hp twist-grip and tiller arm problem.

Welcome hshs to iboats!<br /><br />Explaining how to put the twist grip and helix back together could be a little complicated hs....best advice we could give would be to get an OEM service manual for the engine. There is a section in there for the tiller handle and gives step by step instructions on repair and assembly. Along with a parts manual, I'm sure you could do the job easily. Reprints of the manuals can be gotten through Ken Cook Co., marine.com or the outboardwizard.....just do a search for any of them....most you can order on line if desired. Best of all, the OEM service manual will give you detailed instructions on upkeep maint and repair of your specific engine.

hshs1965

Recruit

Thanks, OBJ. I've been looking for the manual that gives the specific instructions and went to Ken Cook but couldn't find anything on the twist-grip, everything else though. I'll look again. I'm a big believer in the manuals, too. But thanks for replying. HSHS1965

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The twist grip section is part of the overall service manual hs....just get the service manual for your model year and hp......it's all there.

hshs1965

Recruit

Great. I ordered it yesterday after finding that I had been entering the incorrect model #. The list was a little confusing but I got it. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

hshs1965

Recruit

Got the service manual and it confirmed what I had already figured out. Unfortunately, the throttle still is not opening up and the twist-grip does not go on flush to the throttle guide. I will have to look more closely to see if I'm missing something. Any thoughts?