15hp Evinrude Question(s)

mjb55444

Recruit
Greetings,<br /><br />I bought a boat this weekend, got it out onto the lake and the motor was very, very sluggish. Got it home, replaced the sparkplugs (they were gross) and put 16oz of sea foam in my gas tank, took it back out and it runs like a champ.<br /><br />However, after running the motor, turning it off, and starting it back up, if I go full throttle, it starts off kind of slow, and then after 10-15 seconds, it's like something breaks free or loosens up or something and then it gets up to full speed. Could this be gunk in the carbs that needs to be cleaned out?<br /><br />Also, on the front of the engine (I believe it's either a 95 or 96), there's a little dial near the pull start that looks a lot like a volume knob on a radio. What does this do? I'm ASSUMING that it has something to do with the carb jets.. if so, I'm wondering if my monkeying with it trying to figure out what it was for had something to do with the problem listed above.<br /><br />Any information is greatly appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks.

fireman57

Captain
Re: 15hp Evinrude Question(s)

Welcome to iboats. If you will post the model number everyone can be of more help. The sluggishness could be some junk in your high speed jet in the carb. When it does this try pumping the primer bulb and see if it picks up. The knob on front is most likely your low speed adjustment. Without the model number I am just guessing.

BF

Lieutenant
Re: 15hp Evinrude Question(s)

Hi & Welcome...<br /><br />Could it be just that the engine is laboring (under load), and doesn't pick up rpm's until it gets the boat up on plane? If so, it might be normal.<br /><br />As for the knob.. pretty sure it's the slow speed idle mixture adjustment. Turning it in makes it leaner, out makes it richer. Once you find the sweet spot for idling at operating temp, you shouldn't need to monkey with it. Sometimes a 1/3 turn towards "rich" keeps a cold motor from stalling/sneezing until it warms up. (then back to the sweet spot)<br /><br />I'm not sure if this is your model of 15 hp or not, but here's a good read.<br /> 9.9 / 15 hp maintenance repair article <br /><br />good luck..<br /><br />Brent