1972 Evinrude 65 hp in need of Expert advice

stingray2232

Cadet
Hi all. Ok I took my boat out the other day and found two problems. When I put it into reverse it takes forever for it to start moveing the prop is turning but im going nowere. The Prop is made of steel with no damage at all. The next problem is the water pump. I didnt pay any attention to it until a guy stoped me and told me that there was no water flowing out of the two water ports. I ran it back to were I was docked about 15 miles away with no overheating. When I got back I took and layed my hand on the engine and it was cool,with no water flow at any time on the way back. Any help would be nice. Its a 1972 Evinrude 65 HP model 65273 serial J 014160. THANKS

D

DJ

Re: 1972 Evinrude 65 hp in need of Expert advice

Your '72' does not have an "indicator" for water flow.<br /><br />The two ports you speak of are exhaust relief ports. At idle, the most you could hoipe for woiuld be a spray. On plane, you should get some flow from them.<br /><br />I can't speak to your prop issue. Outboard props are not very efficient in reverse.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the same exact motor. I am still a novice. DJ is correct on the exhaust relief ports. At idle all I get is a spray and on plane you can see some water coming out but mostly exhaust. I am not sure about your prop. You may want to check and see if you have a spun hub.

stingray2232

Cadet

Yea they must be exhaust relief ports except I get nothing at all from them not even a drip of water at idle or WOT. Thanks guys.

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

As long as it is not running hot thats the main thing and you know what they say the main thing is keeping the main thing the main thing.

stingray2232

Cadet

LOL I was thinking all these engines are water cooled, but I want to make sure before I make a mistake. I mean the lowerunit does have the water vents and all its just there is no water what soever comeing out of the ports. From what I have been told there should be atleast a drip sometimes.

tr918

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Stingray23, If you can put your hand on the heads and not burn them you are not overheating. If you start your motor up out of the water on the muffs and watch the exhaust relief ports closely. At first you will see almost no water. After a while you will only see a fine mist/vapor with the exhaust. If your heads are not overheating I would not be concerned. I would concentrate on your reverse problem. It could be a problem with the push button control or the lower unit. I had a problem with mine not going into gear when I first bought it. It ended up being the push button switch in the control. It was badly corroded and had shorted itself out. Do you have a manual? If you don't I would advise investing in one. Find a factory service and parts manual. I have the Clymer manual it is not as helpful. You are better off with the factory manual.