EVERY TIME I GO OUT I'M HAVING TO REPLACE SPARK PLUGS WHY?

HUNTING82

Cadet
Every fishing trip i go on, my motor starts fine, but when i'm running across the lake i lose a cylinder because the spark plug goes out what is the problem?<br /><br />1976 johnson seahorse 15hp

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: EVERY TIME I GO OUT I'M HAVING TO REPLACE SPARK PLUGS WHY?

What plugs are you using?

fireman57

Captain

Are you sure you just aren't losing spark to that cylinder?

HUNTING82

Cadet

all i know is i'm losing a cylinder, so i replace the plug and then i will lose the other cylinder not long after

fireman57

Captain

Use the correct champions as these engines were designed around their heat ranges.

fireman57

Captain

When you drop this cylinder will it still idle okay? If it will idle then pull one plug wire at a time and listen for the change in rpm. Might be time for a new coil. Any cracked or have dark spots on them like they may have had too much heat?

HUNTING82

Cadet

I only have two cylinders, the coils have never been replaced, almost 30 years old

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Start with Firemans suggestion of getting the correct plugs. Then we can start from the begining.

HUNTING82

Cadet

I talked to several boat repair shops and they told me the ngk and the champion were recommended for this motor, so i bought the ngk because they were out of champion

CATransplant

Admiral

I think you'll find that the correct Champion plugs will outlast the NGK's by a good factor.<br /><br />How are you using this motor? If you're mostly trolling with it, you may need one grade hotter plug than if you're running it wide open most of the time.<br /><br />But do stick with the Champions.

HUNTING82

Cadet

I run it wide open 95% of the time

CATransplant

Admiral

If your engine has an "R" suffix in the model number, you need the Champion L82C plug. <br /><br />If your engine has an "A" suffix in the model number, you need the Champion UL81J plug.<br /><br />Get the right plug from Champion...put a pair of them in your motor. I'll bet your problems go away.<br /><br />Or, you can keep fouling those NGKs. It's up to you.

DHPMARINE

Captain

If I didn't have the correct Champion plug,I still wouldn't sell you an NGK for an OMC/BRP motor,unless it was a 4stroker.<br /><br />DHP

Swider

Recruit

As I turned the fuel/air mix screw I reached a point where the motor ran smooth but fouled plugs as you described. I had to carry spares with me. I turned it out more. The motor began to run rough but I kept turning and all of a sudden it began to run smooth again. I left it there. That was 1 1/2 years and many fishing trips ago and I haven't replaced another plug.