1969 Evinrude 55hp Great Idle, but no Power at WOT

rdh2059

Seaman
I have spent the last month rebuilding this motor, but am running into a problem I can't figure out. The wire bundle was replaced (old one had more bare wire than wire with insulation). I replaced the rectifier. Did full tune-up including points, new wires and plugs. I also replaced the fuel pump screen. The carbs were removed and rebuilt using carb cleaner. Once they were finished being dipped, I cleaned them out with cans of carb cleaner, then blown out with air. I could not remove the high speed jets, so they were in place, when the carb housing was dipped. Reassembly went smoothly.<br /><br />The motor idles with muffs very smoothly. The other day, I took the boat out to a local lake for a test run. It started quickly and ran very well up to about 1300rpm. At that point it just would not go any faster. I squeezed the bulb, but that did nothing. I pulled off the cowl and that made no difference either. What I found amazing is that I gained another 1000 RPM by holding the electric choke at full choke. It kicked in right away and would run at about 2500RPM until I let off the electric choke switch. <br /><br />Could there be something wrong with the high speed jets that would cause this? I looked at the jet with a magnifying glass and could see nothing blocking it. Does the High Speed jet limit fuel flow or air flow? Its like the engine isn't getting enough fuel, but everything appears to be working normally. <br /><br />Thanks for any help,<br />Rick

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1969 Evinrude 55hp Great Idle, but no Power at WOT

Yes, Rick. One of your carbs has a gummed up high speed circuit.<br /><br />You can verify this and ID the bad carb by squirting a bit of premix fuel into each carb when the engine is misbehaving. By the way, don't try WOT with no load on the engine. That will probably blow it up.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

REELSPORT

Petty Officer 1st Class

Might try running a little seafoam in the gas tank, it does a pretty good job of cleaning jets and the like. good luck

rdh2059

Seaman

I guess I wasn't very clear. I tested idle with the muffs on. I tested WOT out on a lake nearby. I've never trusted muffs and realize the motor doesn't work the same without the load of water on the lower unit and prop.<br /><br />Last evening I took the carbs apart again, double checked the high speed jets and they were clean. I blew out all the holes and tubes with carb cleaner just in case. Time to take it back to the lake and check it out again. I did notice while checking idle again, that the fuel pump was blowing a little fuel out the back vent, so suspect it needs replaced or rebuilt too. <br /><br />Rick