Pull start

laurincole

Seaman Apprentice
As stated in a previous posting I am new to this, so I apologize for mulitple postings. Here is my question, Electric start works fine, but I cannot pull start the motor. I'm a fairly in shape person. The motor is a 25hp evinrude 1972. Is there a technique to doing this or do I need to work out more. I would like to be able to use this as a back up just in case the battery or start go bad.<br />Thanks for all the help

russeller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Pull start

is the pull start frozen ? that could be the only thing if is starts fine with the starter your best bet would be to take it off and bring it to a place that fixes lawn mowers and small stuff and the will fix the unit for you

laurincole

Seaman Apprentice

russeller, I'ts not frozen, but it takes both hands and only pull about 18", I think I would throw myself out of the boat if it finally started. thanks for the help

CATransplant

Admiral

It ain't easy to rope start a 25hp outboard. Truly. The pull is pretty stiff. It's not so bad when the motor's warmed up, but cold...well, start lifting weights.

CATransplant

Admiral

Still, you could have a problem with the recoil unit. You can see a parts breakdown and an exploded view by drilling down in the parts list listings at ishopmarine.com.<br /><br />Too bad your 25hp isn't one of the older big twins, though. They had a nifty compression release feature on the heads that made rope starting a lot easier.<br /><br />Then again, they're a lot older.

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Icole - try this before pumping iron,<br /><br />Get motor all primed up. Turn slowly - by rotating flywheel with hands if needed - a couple of times with ignition off.<br /><br />Then turn flywheel until it's just past top of compression. Switch ignition on. On the 'down' stroke, you should get enough momentum to pull it through the next compression stroke. If the motor's in good shape, that's your best bet for firing up.

noshelter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i just got through pull starting my 35hp today because i've lost the electric start power (for some reason), took about 20 minutes to a half hour before it finally turned over, plenty of priming and choking, and like someone said before, lining up the flywheel helps a lot also, but it's not as hard as transplant believes, just takes some time

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

do you have your key turned in the ignition before you try to pull it over????

umblecumbuz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sprouticus,<br /><br />Get it set up as I've described above. Turn it over slowly once it's primed, a couple of times with the ignition OFF. the turn it just past compression, switch on ignition, and pull like hell.

sprouticus

Petty Officer 1st Class

lol........for the record, this is not my post or problem (although I have had many) I was offering a suggestion to Icole's problem. NO one had suggested it, and I recently had to pull start my 70 for the first time, and ofcourse pulled a couple of times before I realized the key had to be turned. Started next pull........lmao@myself.<br /><br />I never claimed to be an expert.

I've got a '72 Evinrude 25hp with no electric start (would be nice some day though). It takes one or two easy pulls and it's going when cold. When warm it starts first pull every time.<br /><br />My point? You probably need to do some tuning/greasing/lubing in the recoil system because it shouldn't be that tough.

BF

Lieutenant

ditto... my '70 hp 25 has both electric and rope, it does usually take more than one pull from cold, but the pull on it isn't that bad at all. I suspect something is wrong with the rope recoil mechanism. You should be able to pull more than 18" ! <br /><br />When warm, a 1/2 tug on the rope is enough.